Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 27 J rear axle

Default 27 J rear axle

I am working my way through a '27 J rebuild.

When I dismantled the rear hub the bearing races were in very good shape but the bearings were just held against the outer race by the tension between the axle nuts.

I have attached a picture of the axle and the fittings as it came out of the hub

Looking at my parts book it seems like I may be missing the left and right thrust collars that fit inboard of the inner race and hold the bearings?

I have tried to find some images of the axle set up but haven't found anything that really helps me and I am never sure whether what I am looking at is a stock set up or some custom adaptation

I'd be grateful for any assistance on this - and if the thrust collars are indeed missing where I might find replacements?

Thanks

Martin in the UK
    Attached Images Attached Images

Martin, this diagram is from the 1927 Rider's Handbook, it should be helpful. from my computer, if you click on the picture three times it will be easy to read. '27 has roller bearings held in retainers with shims to adjust side play. the set up you are showing is ball bearing...?

rear Hub 001.jpg.
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 02-05-2019 at 10:49 AM.

Thanks Steve.
    My hub feels like it’s an original and I’m pretty sure it was made for ball bearings much like the front hub just larger.
    It may have been swapped out for an earlier model at some stage or come like that originally.
    My bike has been in the uk for almost all it’s life and export models may have had a different set up.
    Martin

Martin, I'm pretty sure that's a 21-22 rear axle assy. Bob L

I cant comment on whats right for a '27 but my '20 has ball races that are similar to that one.

John

the good news is that 26-29 rear hubs are all the same, except of course 28-29 had heavy duty and standard rear hubs. i would have to look in parts books or my files, but i "think" 23-25 were same as 26-29 except 23-25 only has one Alemite grease fitting and 26-29 have two fittings. my caveat is i don't have my references in front of me, so i can be wrong.

My 25 JD has rollers also and the owners manual agrees. I am not sure what singles or 45s had. My original hub was worn past rebuildable limits so I am using the only hub I found which is the later one with 2 grease zerks, otherwise all the guts were the same.

The rollers started 1923.

Thanks all. Since my original post I found reference to the change to rollers coming in 23 so it appears my rear hub has been changed for an earlier version at some point.
    Unless I can find a complete later roller hub I plan on using what I have.
    I’m still concerned that there may be missing parts. There is a similar hub for sale on e. Bay currently which clearly shows a coller in board of the race that is threaded onto the axle. There are no such parts on my set up and I am concerned about putting back into use in an incomplete bearing set up.
    Any body out there able to put me right on that one way or the other?
    Thanks again
    Martin

Martin
    I have loads of wheels and hubs that would be correct. Email or pm me.
    Mark Masa