Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Model J/JD Gas tank identification

Maybe I'm wrong. I was just doing it by sight from the size of the cutouts in the picture. I'll measure a tank in the morning.
    Mark

Thanks for doing that, I have also noticed, by looking at these replica tanks, that there seems to be an extra bracket on the 21-24 tanks at the front, just in front of where they bolt together on the underside, if you look at the photos.

No bracket:
    http://www.replicantmetals.com/slide...1-16/index.htm

bracket:
    http://www.replicantmetals.com/slide...1-20/index.htm

Could someone also check that this is correct for original tanks? My tank has this bracket (or whats left of it).

Thanks,
    Fletty

Can anyone help me here in measuring some 1917-1920 or 1921-1924 tank dimensions to determine the year of my tank?

Rocker Cutout width = 4.5"
    Rocker cutout depth = 2.5"
    Tank width = 4.5"

And can anyone tell me what the most forward bracket on the underside is for and if the earlier tank has it or not?

Your tanks are the wider, late type. I did measure my late right side tank and it matches your above dimensions. My 1916 right side tank is approximately 3" + wide, and the rocker cutouts are aprox. 4" wide. If you plan to put gas in that tank, you have a lot of work to do. I've been into a lot of right side tanks; and holes, and lacey rust through needs to be fixed from the inside. Particularly if you intend to do a nice paint job. You can cut your way in, or melt out the solder seams to get access to the inside, but both methods are gruesome. The left/oil tank side always seems to be in better shape, which is probably due to the oil compartment.

All 3 brackets are bottom tank mounts that secure both tanks to each other and minimize stress on the top mounts, and plumbing lines. There is also a front wire loom bracket that routes the front spark plug wire.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886