Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PRESTO mini fire extinguishers refil

Quote Originally Posted by epazikas View Post
    ..To be honest with you, after I got those misfires through the air cover, which caused a flame, I became very concerned about starting my motorcycle. I did everything to impede the fire to happen again, but I need to get my confidence back...I can not be concerned all the time because this will not do any good. How to regain the confidence??? Ed
    Its always frightening, Ed!

An evil manifold leak does that.

Please review http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html, and join the crusade.

....Cotten
    PS: I put out a VL with a bock once.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Quote Originally Posted by epazikas View Post
    Hi Mike, thank you! I will make some research at my side, again, but last attempts were unsuccessful, because people tends to cast out old fire extinguishers by saying it is not worth to refill those old unreliable pieces. But I like them and will have a try. Of course I also have modern and good extinguishers nearby, just in case. To be honest with you, after I got those misfires through the air cover, which caused a flame, I became very concerned about starting my motorcycle. I did everything to impede the fire to happen again, but I need to get my confidence back...I can not be concerned all the time because this will not do any good. How to regain the confidence??? Ed
    Ed,
    You should be aware that if you take this to a company to have filled. and it doesn't pass the pressure test, I have had them returned in two pieces so they can never be pressurized again. Pretty extreme, but it can happen.
    If you have a good relationship with your local fire chief, that is probably your best first move to ask them.
    Cheers,
    Mick

Default PRESTO in pictures

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    I think they are nifty, Ed!

And making them useable should be applauded, not sniveled at..

I am unfamiliar with them, but once you have decided on the contents, its a matter of charging them.
    Are there any apparent caps or perhaps a valve similar to a Schrader?

My "FIRES-ZOUT" trichloromonofluoromethane extinguisher has probably lost its CO2, but I wouldn't hesitate to recharge it like I do nearly-spent rattle-cans: With a rag to catch spray, I take my compressed air gun and place it firmly upon the depressed nozzle, letting it back up when it stops gurgling.

...Cotten
    PS: Mine came out of a dumpster last week, but there's no bar code.

======

Hi Cotten, here are few pictures that I promised to send to you for the Presto Fire extinguisher.
    The valve on the rear part can be easily unscrewed and perhaps the extinguisher should be refilled by inserting a device on the front while the valve in the back is open? Now, if this is the case or not, which device can be used for refilling, measurements and how to insert the powder, chemicals and to pressurize it, I have no idea. I hope one day I will get the answer. Thank you, Ed

I can see the valve mechanism, Ed!

But I'm not sure that's the way to fill it, unless the contents are liquid maybe.

I would first search out practical contents, but I would not know where to start.

....Cotten
    PS: I'm down to about 20cc's of reagent carbon tet.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Ed - one of the big problems as mentioned in an earlier response is that cylinders that hold contents under pressure to dispense a substance are regulated and must comply with hydrostatic testing. Cylinders generally are required to be tested every twelve years. Sometimes the cylinders fail the hydrostatic test by catastrophic destruction because they materially give up their strength. So if you find a fire protection service that services systems they will need to insure before they fill that it complies with the testing criteria. Clearly you don't want to destroy those antique cylinders. But you could have a discussion with the professionals that service fire protection systems and get their advice. You may be able to use a small current size "clean system" agent in a faux or repop look alike of the original. Even the current charged one you have could offer you risk of bursting and exposing you to dangerous carbon tetra chloride agent. I tried to find commercial fire protection system servicing in Sweden and wasn't successful. But I know they are there because all you computer clean rooms and restaurant cooking hoods and ducts require refillable and serviceable systems so those companies exist you just will need to tract them down.

Mike Love