Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is it??

Steve,
    Try a mixture of about 10% molasses and water. Leave the part in it for a week or more. I cover the container to prevent evaporation. Remove it and wash it off with water. A little scrubbing with a brush may be necessary depending how heavy the rust was. It will not hurt the paint and leaves a pleasant odor in the shop.

Finally...The Jetsons technology is making it through to us.
    We've had the dog walking thingy for a few years but the wife uses it instead of the dog....But this thing is truly Jetson worthy.

https://www.supertime.online/index.p...roduct_id=1137

Thanks for the posts and rust killer info. I will get a big clear tub from the supermarket and a couple of tins of golden syrup or molasses and give the rust what for.
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    E4572 is a Triumph part number.
    From memory a mid 60's Bonnie engine sprocket
    Thanks Thommo.

Thanks for the info Pete.
    Steve Little
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Vinegar also works very well, and somewhat fast. As with molasses, non-toxic to Mother Nature, and very cheap.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Little View Post
    Finally...The Jetsons technology is making it through to us.
    We've had the dog walking thingy for a few years but the wife uses it instead of the dog....But this thing is truly Jetson worthy.

https://www.supertime.online/index.p...roduct_id=1137

Thanks for the posts and rust killer info. I will get a big clear tub from the supermarket and a couple of tins of golden syrup or molasses and give the rust what for.
    Steve,
    The laser ablation system is real, but unfortunately the add is misleading. What they are advertising is just the hand held head. The rest of the machine is in the 10's of thousands of dollars. It would be nice to have but i think it is a long way before it would be affordable to the average person.

I was in Alice Springs a few months ago and met a guy who had a complete 1923 JD with a sidecar, and original factory paperwork for it. Complete and unrestored, what a beautiful outfit.

Cheers,
    Mick King

Quote Originally Posted by exeric View Post
    Vinegar also works very well, and somewhat fast. As with molasses, non-toxic to Mother Nature, and very cheap.
    Thanks Eric. I knew there was talk of vinegar at some time in the past but could not remember how it was done. White vinegar? ratio? or neat?

Hi Mick. Man...I knew that laser thing was too good to be true. Were you up there for Fish's run?

I think all the springs from my earlier post are an assortment of Triumph kicker springs.
    Steve Little
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Steve,
    I was in Oz visiting friends and family.
    Ended up in Alice shooting black powder rifles in the Australian masters games.
    It rained on the west coast, south coast, east coast and the center. I am always going home at the wrong time of the year.
    I am originally from warrnambool, so I cannot expect much there in the way of good weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilcock View Post
    Steve,
    Try a mixture of about 10% molasses and water. Leave the part in it for a week or more. I cover the container to prevent evaporation. Remove it and wash it off with water. A little scrubbing with a brush may be necessary depending how heavy the rust was. It will not hurt the paint and leaves a pleasant odor in the shop.
    I have always used a mixture of 1 pound of cooking molasses to an imperial gallon (4.55 L) of warm water and gotten good results. The sugar solution converts red iron oxide to the black iron oxide which then can be easily brushed off. Time needed depends on the thickness of rust. Once clean, dry the parts thoroughly and coat the bare metal with oil as soon as possible since in damp air rusting could start in minutes. Or begin priming/painting if that is what will be required.
    Degreasing of metal should be done first if it is a part rust, part greasy item.
    AFJ

40 litre tub with sealable lid from the supermarket. Only put 15 litres of water in it to suit the 10% ratio. 3 half litre bottles of molasses. Hot tap water. And sacrificial rusty parts.
    Let the experiment begin.

PC220001.jpg

PC220002.jpg
    Steve Little
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Steve:

The guiding principle with the molasses and water is patience. The process works well. I found it did a nice job on small chrome plated parts and in preserving a very neglected Sportster it saved me some money on replacement parts. It did several runs of the process using a container only about 1/3 the size of your experiment. On the first round I let it sit for couple of weeks. Pretty cool as you watched because you knew something was happening based on the look of the liquid surface (development of foam) and the smell of the off gassing, almost a sweet fermenting odor. Once I ended the experiment I was concerned because it looked like the rust was still there, but what I found was it rubbed right off and left a nice chrome finish. Of course it does not take away pitting or where the rust damaged the plating but often they blemishes were tiny. But since you are using unprotected steel you should be going right down to the steel surface. Again if the rusting ate into the steel the pitting remains but after washing the rust is gone. Scrubbing does help. Later trials I would go a week and take the part out and rubbed it off, each time removed rust and it seemed to speed up the overall process. The good thing is that it is another tool in the tool box. My little research into rust removal found that the acid baths work well as does electrolysis. If I can find my trial photos I will post them. Good luck.

Mike Love