Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What is it??

Hi Steve, no one is interested in the late 50s Triumph Tiger Cub rocker shafts. Check out the Indian Scout motor on this saw.Dow saw.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Cooke View Post
    I think I read somewhere once that apple cider vinegar works better than white vinegar but I've never got around to trying it.
    It would certainly eat more wallet, Peter!

I boil some stuff.
    Other stuff you must watch carefully.

Just don't forget the baking soda neutralization.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Little View Post
    FNG1 I can't identify yours but whatever they are out of, it will most probably have some kind of removable cap to adjust those adjusting screws.
    And these parts are from a similar ammo can in a different part of the world.

Red lense has TMC-717 SAE-STDB-62 GLO_ BRITE. IT measures 93mm diam or 3 11/16"
    The steel backing plate is 98mm or 3 7/8"

Attachment 23478
    DSC06064.JPGDSC06065.JPG
    OD is 95mm and lens configuration looks different. Maybe with this being a NOS in the box with part # might help narrow the search or head you in the right direction. This one says on the bottom 'SAE STDB', on the top 'GUIDE R6-60'. Hole spread is 72mm with 5mm holes offset from center. I bought this hoping it would fit my Leggero, but no cigar.

https://harleyhummer.com/products/68091-60 Yours looks like this lens, maybe.
    Last edited by BigLakeBob; 01-07-2019 at 07:17 PM.
    Bob Rice #6738

Thanks Bob. I reckon your on the right path. This has a part number finishing in -62. Wikipedia suggested Ranger, Pacer, or Scat for 1962 to 1965.

FNG1. Man!! That's a weapon. When I was in my mid twenties, I operated tracked machines ie: Koering and Cat feller-bunchers and a Koering processor, in clear fall pine and later on, I was set loose in plantation hard wood.
    I had to have a chainsaw licence to clear the bigger edge trees. I cant think why the guy who built that machine needed all that grunt. Maybe it was for chainsaw racing. That's a mad sport.
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Steve
    Back to the molasses and water rust removal method. I mentioned it to a chemist. The molasses /water mixture simply converts red oxide to black oxide which can be readily removed. It will in no way affect the steel or erode it, only the oxide.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilcock View Post
    Steve
    Back to the molasses and water rust removal method. I mentioned it to a chemist. The molasses /water mixture simply converts red oxide to black oxide which can be readily removed. It will in no way affect the steel or erode it, only the oxide.
    Tom
    Thanks Tom. I'll side with your chemist.
    I should have written the word "rusty" into my caution. As in:
    If rust is on the hardened surface or high carbon parts ie shafts, gears, clutch hubs, clutch drums, or anything with a bearing race, should not go in the molasses mix?

I think that a better method for light rust removal of hardened parts is wire buffing.
    Here is another Sporty gear which was in the same box with the other gear and was in similar condition. 10 minutes on the wire wheel and I would use this gear. If I had put it in the molasses mix, the molasses would have chased the oxide reaction which would be present in the rusty areas of the hardened skin of this gear.

P1120001.jpg

P1120002.jpg

P1120003.jpg
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950