Thread: Question about a generator?

Question Question about a generator?

Anyone: i have a genny i cannot identify, it looks like it has a belt drive on the end and has the # on it 160164 stamped into the case. Thanks oldblu.

Genny-18 004.jpgGenny-18 004.jpg

Looks to be a Splitdorf DU-7. Depending on rotation, this could fit 28-30 Indian Scout, 4, Cleveland or Henderson 4. Look on the drive end of the case for an arrow indicating direction of rotation.

Here is a link to my web site showing applications for the Splitdorf generators: http://www.splitdorfreg.com/Blancard/splitgenart1.html

Gene

Gene: thank you that is great, i looked on the drive end of the case and know arrow but to give you a little more info it has a brass belt pulley. Do you have an idea of how much it is worth? thanks again oldblu.Genny-18 003.jpg
    Last edited by oldblu; 12-11-2018 at 04:05 PM.

It's funny that there is an arrow scratched in the brush housing, but it's pretty non-committal on C, or CW direction. Gene is one of the gems of our old bike hobby. He has dedicated a lot of time, and effort to re-discover the lost knowledge of this great hobby of ours. I know that Splitdorf gennys bring a good price on ebay, but the more you can learn about your's, and it's application will enhance it's value.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

oldblu,

The DU-7 is quite desirable because every 101 Scout needs one. Even if it is the wrong rotation for a 101 it can be changed. One big problem I see is the aluminum commutator head assembly appears to be cracked, that's why the big plate screwed onto the end, to hold it all together. Also the cap is missing, they are available but about $150.00.

If it was not broken and complete it should be a 700$+ generator I would guess.

gene

Gene: you are a gem, thanks so much for the info, i do not own a 101 that's why i did not put to a bike. although i sold an 101 engine at davnport many years ago. Thanks again. oldblu.

Gene, Didn't the last of the Super X's (before the mag dyno on the streamliners, mid-'29) take a DU 7 or was it a DU 5? Rich
    DrSprocket

Rich,

The DU-7 didn't come out until early 28. So Super X would have used a DU-5 until then. If I understand correctly, the Bosch Mag - Dyno came out in later 29 on the Super X streamliner model. So it is quite possible the 28 and early 29 Super X used a CCW DU-7, unless Schwinn had a ready supply of 5's on the shelf. Thats one of those things that you could argue with the judges for ever!

We're on the same page Gene. I put a DU-7 on my '28 and the same on a low frame early flat tank '29 I did for a friend. A mag-dyno went on his later Streamline model. I haven't seen you in a long time as we live on opposite sides of the Rockies. Best regards, Rich
    DrSprocket

Yep, been a long time Rich! I recall your brief appearance on the 2nd DJ road run in 1985 on a Super X. I wasn't an X guy yet but was pretty excited to see one running. As I recall, you had problems and dropped out early.

I may be in touch, I'm working a trade for 2 '30 streamliners and a surprise X motor as well....

Gene