Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Beware ,American Cycle Fabrication Paul and Denise Friebus

Quote Originally Posted by beaumonts View Post
    Paul contacted me a couple of times and said he is actually working on my bike. I asked for pictures several times and "surprise" nada. No longer contacting me at all, total radio silence. The problem for me is having to spend a couple of grand to go down there and talk to him in person, but I am going to have to period.
    If anyone see's him in person please say "HI" to him from Ty
    I would also like to thank the people on the boards for the PM's of support and information, much appreciated.
    Paul is usually at the Oley meet every year so could be a good time to say hello!
    Craig (Delaware)
    Perkiomen Chapter
    AMCA Member #1011

Did anyone see Paul or Denise at the OLEY meet this year? Still trying to set up a time for my brother's to go down and "meet" Paul and Denise to recover my cash and DAH. They do not return calls or texts etc. I still can't believe how a person can change into to such a shyster in that short of a time.

I have had only good conversation with Paul (no business transacted) and bear him no ill will. My remarks are conjecture only, I have no idea what happened.

UK police once called this "the embezzler's dilemma".
    "I never meant to steal anything, I just used the money while dealing with my problem (bail bond, illness, whiskey, cocaine, ex-wife, slow horses) and always meant to pay it back - so it's not like I committed a crime or anything. I kept embezzling money to buy lottery tickets, Ponzi shares, chain letters, and how-to-make-money-in-real-estate books, but so far that's not working. Why are you looking at me like that, I just told you what happened?".

A visit? That's only going to work if he wants you to accuse him and ask him to do something that (in my opinion) he can't do: finish the project while you're standing there, and pay you back.
    If not, when you get there he's not there, even if he answers the phone. The police are not going to arrest him for not talking to you, or search the place without a warrant. Actual police remark: "this is a civil matter, you need a lawyer".

A warning: you are allowed to be in his shop if he wants you there. If not, the police will make you leave to the point of arresting you for "simple trespass". Leaving under protest, then returning without permission is a Class A misdemeanor (maximum 1 year sentence) in New York.
    Last edited by kitabel; 05-28-2019 at 02:43 PM.

Did anyone see Paul or Denise at the OLEY meet this year? Still trying to set up a time for my brother's to go down and "meet" Paul and Denise to recover my cash and DAH. They do not return calls or texts etc. I still can't believe how a person can change into to such a shyster in that short of a time.
    I did not see them at Oley this year.
    Craig (Delaware)
    Perkiomen Chapter
    AMCA Member #1011

Thank you Craig.

They were not there a year ago either because I was looking for them for a friend. Jerry

The County Clerk where his shop is located may do a computer search to see if anyone is suing him (his name, her name, shop name as the defendant). It's public record, the question is "do they do it by phone".
    Not sure where to get bankruptcy filing?

Thank you.

American Cycle Fab is in business, about a week ago, I got my 36 VLD bottom end back after 23 months. He estimated it would take 9 months, as he liked to do several identical motors in a batch.

As they rarely answer the phone or e-mail, it was necessary to Fed Ex a letter demanding a response or I'd take legal action. That got the conversation started. It was stressful, but now that I have it back I'm happy with Paul's work and his bill was thorough but fair. Paul has too much work in progress, I believe he is challenged with deciding his priorities each day. I feel he is a good person, he's just overwhelmed and like all of us, not getting any younger. He has no experienced help that I can ascertain, wish I was in a position to work with him for several months to help him get caught up, and learn from him.

Paul only did the bottom end, as I intend to assemble the top end myself, if that matters.
    1936 VLD in process
    1969 Honda Z50 K1 perfect!
    1985 Yamaha RZ350 resto-mod
    2007 KTM 950 Adventure
    2008 KTM 450 EXC-R

"he liked to do several identical motors in a batch"
    To me, this is good business practice - IF the customers know about it.
    Yet another example of "good technician, poor administrator". Not everyone who can perform quality work can make & keep a schedule.
    What would I do in his place? Try to identify some clerical or non-technical work that's being done by staff now - but can be outsourced. His wife etc. may be doing taxes, book keeping, inventory control - but she's more valuable in the shop because she know the business.
    Next: an inventory of all incomplete jobs by date, and a "honey-do" list of what gets done when, and notify the owners.
    Hint: if you write a customer, and tell the truth, and ask "do you want it back?" and he doesn't answer any future complaint of his is weakened. The more reasonable you look, the better he chances of not losing a customer, and winning in Court.