Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: '27 JD Cut Down Project - SWAN

Steve, I'd find a stock frame in fair condition and modify it to match the photo of Eric's. No one I know makes them today. They have to be made like they used to be, by the owner as Sam Oppie, Lance Tidwell, John Cameron, and the rest are long gone. Forks should be even easier. Love all the stuff you've gathered for the bike. Keep at it. Regards, Rich
    DrSprocket

Quote Originally Posted by RichO View Post
    Steve, I'd find a stock frame in fair condition and modify it to match the photo of Eric's. No one I know makes them today. They have to be made like they used to be, by the owner as Sam Oppie, Lance Tidwell, John Cameron, and the rest are long gone. Forks should be even easier. Love all the stuff you've gathered for the bike. Keep at it. Regards, Rich
    Thanks Rich. i have been told those cutdown frames were originally made by or for short guys in the 5 foot tall area and are too small for taller guys, maybe like myself who is 5'9" i am debating just going with an original frame, of course i have no frame, but after surfing the internet looking at bikes with cutdown frames i think i like the appearance of the factory sport solo tanks more than the cutdown tanks. do you know who has specs or measurements on these cut down frames? when it comes to a frame, i certainly have not made my mind up. sort of hoping i can connect with someone who can either share more info or steer me in that direction.

Steve, I to am only 5'9" but that doesn't mean that shorter or taller people can't fit these frames ( moving footboards, seat, adjust the bars, etc). A regular j model is tall for me with a 28" inseam. A cut down frame sets more like a knucklehead frame which was sort of their first frame to be dropped in the seat area for a lower center of gravity. If you scale out Eric's frame picture by blowing it up to about the scale of a full size j frame you'll have your dimensions in front of you. Think Kinko's! You can do it. Rich
    DrSprocket

Quote Originally Posted by RichO View Post
    Steve, I to am only 5'9" but that doesn't mean that shorter or taller people can't fit these frames ( moving footboards, seat, adjust the bars, etc). A regular j model is tall for me with a 28" inseam. A cut down frame sets more like a knucklehead frame which was sort of their first frame to be dropped in the seat area for a lower center of gravity. If you scale out Eric's frame picture by blowing it up to about the scale of a full size j frame you'll have your dimensions in front of you. Think Kinko's! You can do it. Rich
    what is used for gas tanks on these cutdown frames? they look like they are special, home made. or were they a tank people bought back in the day? are these tanks being made today?

Most of the tanks were made from original tanks sectioned and chopped. Not something to do to a pair these days. Matt Waklsler built a cutdown a few years back, he may have some insight. Jethro Smith may be able to make you some. Replicant Metals also has several types of J tanks.
    Last edited by Rubone; 01-10-2019 at 04:55 PM.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Thank you for your reply Robbie! would the best way to get ahold of Matt Walksler be through Wheels Through Time website? i will put Jethro in my file for future reference. another thing i notice quite different with these cutdown frames is that casting at the seatpost tube, it is a "double-barrel" sort of affair. is that casting a special part made for the cutdown? it doesn't look like a part off of a loop or later frame. the one constraint i have is being on a bit of a fixed income, so whatever part turns up that i can talk myself into affording is the part i will likely wind up with. i am afraid the cutdown frame and tank combo are going to be out of my league cost-wise, nonetheless, i shall check them out.

You can probably get Matt on Facebook! As for "fixed income" I'm not sure what that means, as mine is broken!!
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Ha! it means spend what i have now because if i don't, i won't have it later. thanks for the facebook tip on Matt.

I've seen J cutdowns with modified knuckle tanks, and Super X tanks. I think that is an area where your creativity, and resourcefulness can run wild. Low budgets have also produced great works of art. Throwing money at a bike isn't a guarantee of quality.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Throwing money at a bike isn't a guarantee of quality.
    Communist!!
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736