Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: '27 JD Cut Down Project - SWAN

Steve, Finnegan worked for Dudley Perkins in S.F. before moving south. He and his brother also manufactured frame straightening tables with updated fixtures as models changed. I'm glad some one sent you the link to my very old articles #1 and #2 I wrote for Occhio Lungo. I wanted you to have them when I first read your new thread but I still use a flip phone, a pencil, stamps, and sealing wax. Hope they help you. Rich
    DrSprocket

Quote Originally Posted by RichO View Post
    Steve, Finnegan worked for Dudley Perkins in S.F. before moving south. He and his brother also manufactured frame straightening tables with updated fixtures as models changed. I'm glad some one sent you the link to my very old articles #1 and #2 I wrote for Occhio Lungo. I wanted you to have them when I first read your new thread but I still use a flip phone, a pencil, stamps, and sealing wax. Hope they help you. Rich
    Thank you Rich! i did not realize cut down's were such as they are, some pretty sophisticated modifications and so popular back in the day. i can only imagine a JDH was the real outfit to have and all the engine mods these guys did on their own to make their motors really run. It's really great to see period pictures of these machines and an era within an era of how these machines were modified. The gas tanks (and frames) are particularly interesting; definitely a departure from factory in there efforts to give a sculpted, jaunty and lowered sleekness to the entire machine. i just printed off your 2011 article and as i am in the early very early stages of deciding what direction i am going to go, your article will provide grist for the mill. I don't have the "push" for a dater i would like to see this project finished like i did when i restored my '27 while i was still working (when i had earning power) and before i knew of more resource then than i know of now, so it'll be interesting to see where the project takes me as i take it. since my basis will be a JD, in comparison to a JDH, i may be coming for an angle of a poor man's cut down. we shall see......

It's nice with a JDH but with JD also.

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    It's nice with a JDH but with JD also.

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg
    Eric, that's a very nice JDH there!

considering i don't know anything about cut downs, i realize i am going to have a number of questions coming out of the starting gate.

are these cut down frames originals or are they being reproduced? or, are there more than one type of cut down frame being produced by different people and if so, who?

considering i don't have a front fork (or frame) i am considering for the price a later EL/UL front fork such as a Samwel; wondering if the stem is same diameter and length as JD? and, is an EL/UL fork wider? also what is offset vs. inline? maybe the most relevant question is, is a fork like the Samwel worth considering or more modifications than worth the time/expense?

0260101BS.jpg

as i said before, at this point, i'm just trying to identify chassis options including up to pre-war era.

i can imagine a kid, back in the day, getting a JD with a wrecked front end and finding a later front end and making it work with a JD frame, but then my imagination may be fantasy or simply unrealistic...
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 11-09-2018 at 02:00 AM.

its been a while since i last posted, i haven't been able to free myself from not going down the cut down road and have actually been kinda busy goofing around with the project. attached are a couple pics of what i've accomplished and what lies ahead... i have my trans completely rebuilt; the new shafts/gears; thank you Bob Luland. the clutch pack is finished, Bob is doing the riveting work on the sprocket and race. i have rebuilt a '29 type generator, rear brake assy, and rear hub; for finishes, i am Parkerizing much as i go along. i have no frame or fork yet, but hope to at a not too distant date. it might sound a bit audacious, but i have decided to go with a 1926 tagged Sparton Model T car horn and have a 1915 "forked" Model T 8" headlight with a Spreadlight lens and fork on the way. i intend to mount the horn and headlight in somewhat the same manner as factory. i can get all new guts for the headlight from Lang's Old Car Parts. whilst i plan to run an original rear brake, i do fully intend to make the bike one that can be ridden on the streets in Fort Collins' lunatik traffic, so i'm either leaning towards a very nice two leading shoe front brake off a 1965 Yamaha YDS3 250 or am also considering going with a modest disc front brake, something off a modern dirt bike; i figure as long as i don't clamp on the brake lever excessively and have the mounting point well reinforced, i shouldn't rip things loose. for rims, i am leaning toward 21" drop center with modern tires, i am thinking a 21" rim with a modern tire should get me pretty close to an overall diameter of 28" but i need to do some checking to make sure my thinking is right before i pull the trigger. i have about 99.9% decided i am going to go with a whole new lower end, i.e., Carillo rods, JIMS pins, T&O flywheels and probably panhead pistons, maybe Venolia. too much to consider before i throw anchor; we shall see. a local buddy has a set of sport solo repro tanks, speedster handlebars but this is my overall rough plan, will be a sort of "Frankenbike" built up with era parts such as a poor dumb boy such as myself would have done back in the day but with some newer goodies such as more modern front brake brake and rims/tires. any thoughts anyone has i welcome with open arms. realizing i can't afford to go down the original ancillaries parts road, the idea struck me to use car parts; i got the Sparton horn for $35 off ebay, just serviced it this afternoon AHOOGA! and the Model T headlight parts for $180, so a helluva lot less than what i have in the Sparton and original headlight (Thanks again very very much Tommo!) on my restored '27. the 14" T horn and 2" larger headlight might look a bit rowdy, but what the hay, huh?

s-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600.jpgAttachment 2346220181220_150244.jpg20181220_150300.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 12-20-2018 at 07:37 PM.

Looking good Steve. I was just wondering the other day how this project was getting on

To mis-quote John "Hannibal" Smith: I love it when a plan starts coming together!

John

Quote Originally Posted by TechNoir View Post
    Looking good Steve. I was just wondering the other day how this project was getting on

To mis-quote John "Hannibal" Smith: I love it when a plan starts coming together!

John
    Thanks John for your kind words. yes, it is in the embryo stage.

i thought i'd post a couple pics to give a vague idea what direction my '27 cut down project seems to be going for the moment... i got this cool pair of automotive switches off ebay for $10, i am guessing they are 1940's era....? they fit inside the original switch panel perfectly, when i have a set of forks i will make up a bracket or brackets to attach the panel to the upper fork clamp. and... my new flywheels arrived today! when the time comes, i am planning with a local buddy's help to balance and true the flywheels. my 1915 Model T headlight and mount with Spreadlight lens should be here maybe by the end of the week. last week i sent out the 29 "JD Jugs" to get bored and fitted with pistons.

T&O Flywheels 20190107_182254.jpg20190107_190053.jpg1940's Era Switches.jpg20190107_190139.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 01-07-2019 at 10:37 PM.

I look forward to these updates steve. keep em coming.

Quote Originally Posted by nuklhd View Post
    I look forward to these updates steve. keep em coming.
    Thanks nuklhd! i forgot to mention my cylinders are with Jon Neuman being bored and fitted with Venolia pistons and rings. he is fitting rollers to JIMS pins and Carillo rods and fitting new rollers to the drive shaft and bushing. it sounds like i should have everything back in a couple or three weeks, then my buddy and i will balance and true the flywheels. i will post pictures of the process when the time comes. i still need to find a frame and forks....