Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: '27 JD Cut Down Project - SWAN

Two lightweight dirtbike discs to distribute the load to both sides and eliminate twist. And truss the legs like a hillclimber!
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Quote Originally Posted by Rubone View Post
    Two lightweight dirtbike discs to distribute the load to both sides and eliminate twist. And truss the legs like a hillclimber!
    Robbie, if you have a picture handy that you would download of how hill climber legs are trussed, i would appreciate it. your comment about running 2 discs to eliminate twist makes sense.

running a drum front brake would minimize the twist, however there would still be some twist..... i suppose those links the Brough front brake has are to help minimize the twist.... in the past, i have considered the front brake a Hummer, Bantam or Tiger Cub, but did not pursue because i do not know the stopping ability of these brakes which i suspect is not great but probably up to the job at hand. the other option could be a small drum brake off something like a early 70's Honda XL250 or XL350. i have a beautiful twin leading shoe front brake off a 1965 Yamaha Catalina, but it is too heavy and the diameter is so large as to be immodest.
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 01-21-2019 at 08:58 PM.

Bantam and Cub are as wimpy as the OEM J brakes.. I am putting Rickman Zundapp wheels on my Trials Cub, cool conical brakes. Why not lace up alloy rims while you are at it? Somewhere in my stuff I have a Kawasaki dirtbike wheel in 21" with a small brake. I'll have to look at it. Some of the cool chopper kids are running such brakes.

Here is a boardtracker with a trussed fork.

Last edited by Rubone; 01-21-2019 at 11:15 PM.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Thanks Robbie, for the fantastic picture! Indeed, i AM going with new anodized black SUN alloy rims from Buchanan's. i can only imagine Rickman Zundapp front brakes are rare as hen's teeth. interesting you mention Kaw dirt bike brakes; i have been surfing ebay looking at different front brakes from late 70's through early 80's and what i found i like the best so far is a 1980-81 KX250 unit. the backing plate is magnesium, i think the brake diameter is 5.5 inches, the hub is a nice looking conical unit and it has a user friendly way to make what appear minor modifications to hold the backing plate stationary with the fork. i think the axle diameter is 15 mm, so it is about 1/8" larger diameter than the JD axle. attached are pics of the Kaw brake.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Swan View Post
    i can only imagine Rickman Zundapp front brakes are rare as hen's teeth.
    There are two rear brakes/hubs in the USA on ebay now. The guy says he is parting a complete bike, might be worth dropping him a note.

John

I've thought about fitting a BMX disk brake to one of my old bikes for safety in traffic. I don't know if that is practical, or if it has the requisite performance, but for $40 it might be worth a look. These are made for mountain bikers and I have to imagine they can put high demands on their brakes. I've made quite a few hubs out of aluminum, and steel and I think that would have to be done to use any single, or dual front brake. These brakes may be junk, but I would like to have one in my hands to see.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-Fro...SIV:rk:38:pf:0
    Last edited by exeric; 01-22-2019 at 08:12 AM.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Quote Originally Posted by exeric View Post
    I've thought about fitting a BMX disk brake to one of my old bikes for safety in traffic. I don't know if that is practical, or if it has the requisite performance, but for $40 it might be worth a look. These are made for mountain bikers and I have to imagine they can put high demands on their brakes. I've made quite a few hubs out of aluminum, and steel and I think that would have to be done to use any single, or dual front brake. These brakes may be junk, but I would like to have one in my hands to see.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-Fro...SIV:rk:38:pf:0
    Eric, i have a hi-end mountain bike, the rotor (in bicycling parlance) is 1.8 mm. As thin as the rotor is and the diameter of the hole circle where the rotor attaches to the hub being so small i think the rotor would get ripped off or burn up trying to stop a 250+ pound motorcycle. my mountain bike is a "29" (29 inch rims) and weighs around 30 pounds. Also, reading your threads and posts over the years, seeing your gorgeous machines, despite your modesty, you are at the least a competent machinist and fabricator. i can't imagine making a hub, but then i don't have the equipment to do so. What have you made hubs for and do you have a picture or two of them? (i rejoined AMCA in 2013, i seem to recall you were working on an Indian Ace or a 4...?) i would love to see some of your examples of your work because when i read BoschZEV, ShakyJake, or the wealth of research and experience Bobbie has, i feel like i am a barely toddling amongst giants.
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 01-22-2019 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TechNoir View Post
    There are two rear brakes/hubs in the USA on ebay now. The guy says he is parting a complete bike, might be worth dropping him a note.

John
    Thanks John for the tip. if the rear hub seller is 501bikes, i just contacted him. Is this the seller you are referring to?

PS - seller just told me Zundapp front brake SOLD.
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 01-22-2019 at 12:38 PM.

so, i probably jumped the gun a little bit, sometimes my enthusiasm gets the better of me. i got the rear wheel back from Buchanan's earlier this afternoon, so i went to shop and mounted the tire, i used a heavy 3 mm MX tube like i did on my first '27, even though what i am using is a SUN WM3alloy rim. the tire (Kenda K657 90/100-21) diameter is a full 28 inches, the width 3-1/2 inches and the spokes are .142" diameter. i put a 41t sprocket on and am on the lookout for a factory drum. i got the T headlight cleaned up, the reflector isn't half bad for 104 years old, although it could be better. the reflector had some sort of horrid yellow tarnishing or the like, nothing would remove it including actual nickle cleaner, i found some aluminum blue jel cleaner i had and it removed the yellow with not a whole lot of serious rubbing action.

20190122_151513.jpg20190122_151353.jpg20190122_151159.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 01-22-2019 at 06:29 PM.

oh boy! just got my birthday gift today thanks to Jon Neuman! Thank you Jon for your help! Next is finding the time when my local buddy Wiff can help me set up the lower end following Uncle Frank's balancing instructions; will take pictures of this procedure. i sent the front hub to Buchanan's yesterday; they'll have it Thursday. the 7" conical hub is tastefully attractive, off a 1981 Kawasaki KX250, very light, the backing plate is magnesium and the hub is aluminum, i plan to make up a short bracket that will lock the backing plate to the back side of the stud on the rigid fork, this bracket will only be about 2-1/2" long. i've made a deal on a '29 frame and a 25-27 type fork and a set of 1914 repro 4-1/2" fenders, i should have them sometime in April. i have my rear wheel assembly with brake complete, i'll take some pics of it and the front wheel after i get it back from Buchanan's.

20190212_153118.jpg20190212_153209.jpg20190212_153226.jpg20190212_155233.jpg