Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: '27 JD Cut Down Project - SWAN

They may not be designed to have the nut bottomed out on the step.
    I would back them off until you ride it and get a feel for how much dampening they provide, the adjust as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by aumick10 View Post
    They may not be designed to have the nut bottomed out on the step.
    I would back them off until you ride it and get a feel for how much dampening they provide, the adjust as necessary.
    correct. i have them tightened just enough for minimal tension on the star tensioners. i am just surprised they are mild steel, would think they should be spring steel so as to provide constant pressure on the friction discs. if the stars were spring steel would retain its curvature. mild steel, they will collapse at least to a certain degree and provide less tension, so the tension is not held constant like spring steel would provide. kind of the same thing as the rear stand latch is made of spring steel.

I also think they would have been made from spring steel.

yes, i would think spring steel would allow the stars to retain their shape. unfortunately, my experience, this seems to be how Comp.D does some of their manufacturing.......

fwiw, i have one of "Deuxcam's" dampers i will never use if you are interested....... it is parkerized but can't accommodate the tool box..... looks like this......

1927.2.jpg

Thanks Steve, but I much prefer the look of the rocker mounted dampers.

Steve,
    Bike's looking good. What brand of tyres if you don't mind?

Thanks Steve.

Since there's not much i can do at this point in time with the project, i decided to assemble essential engine parts so i can fit the hand pump oil pipe and the gas pipe. The gas pipe fitted without much tweaking, but the oil pipe is off by a mile. The tanks are repro sort solo's (NOT Tom Feeser's), so i am thinking the problem lies in one of two things, 1. Sport Solo tanks have different positions for the oil pump body (3551-27) or 2. These repro tanks don't have the oil pump body in the correct position. As i've said in the past, this project is a big departure for me as i have always liked bikes in factory trim with any modifications that don't prevent me going back to factory trim. i am going to stay the course until i have the bike motoring down the road before i decide i can't live with the headlight and horn. The tanks, fenders, etc will be a light grey/blue, however instead of a maroon frame/forks, i am now thinking them painted in police blue would look pretty nice and also give me some color options for decreasing the impact of the headlight and horn.

20190909_010727.jpg20190909_172234.jpg