Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: '27 JD Cut Down Project - SWAN

JD activity seem pretty dried up around here, but i'll post a few more pics, 'mocked up' the engine so i could fit my gas and oil pipes.

20190913_223155.jpg20190913_223238.jpg

Steve,
    I fitted my tanks to my 29 yesterday, and it looks like I have the same issue as you with the hand oiler line.
    The line in the photo is hand tight only, but it looks like the line to the pump valve is not square to the fitting. If it was, it would look like your line.
    I see two different lines in the parts book, pre early 27 and later. There doesn't seem to be any pt # for different tanks.

I have 4 different lines here, and none of them are a perfect fit.
    I am going to tweak mine when I fit it for good.

I have the bike running well, almost finished this one for the moment.

Cheers,
    Mick
    20190926_092353.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by aumick10 View Post
    Steve,
    I fitted my tanks to my 29 yesterday, and it looks like I have the same issue as you with the hand oiler line.
    The line in the photo is hand tight only, but it looks like the line to the pump valve is not square to the fitting. If it was, it would look like your line.
    I see two different lines in the parts book, pre early 27 and later. There doesn't seem to be any pt # for different tanks.

I have 4 different lines here, and none of them are a perfect fit.
    I am going to tweak mine when I fit it for good.

I have the bike running well, almost finished this one for the moment.

Cheers,
    Mick
    20190926_092353.jpg
    Hi Mick,

the early '27 lines and associated fittings are a smaller diameter, i'm don't know the vin cutoff where larger line and fittings began on the later '27's. While my hand pump line was not off much, the oil tank to mechanical oiler line was waaay off. However, i am finding the steel lines respond well to thoughtful and gentle persuasion, so i was able to move the parts of the line that needed to get the end of each line to fit perfectly without stress on the fittings. i have a nifty tubing bender that was helpful for one of the bends in the hand pump line, the others i used my small vise with wood jaws to make the fit. in the case of the nasty tank to mech.oiler line, once i had each end in their approximate and very close positions to the nipples, i went ahead and fastened them to the nipples and then proceeded to make gentle nudges until the lines fit perfectly without the nuts being tightened.

Great work getting the '29 going! and as always great to hear from you!

Quote Originally Posted by aumick10 View Post
    Good progress Steve.
    I will be interested in seeing how the fork dampers work. Does anybody have experience with them?
    I tried to buy a set for my 29, but they were out of stock.
    Cheers.
    Mick
    Mick, you might try Andy again, a couple months ago its now been, he said they were in the process of making up more of these dampers.

I was told it would be near the end of the year before the fork dampers would be available.
    "Gentle persuasion" seems to be normal with a lot of repo parts.
    I tried to post a video of the bike running but was unsuccessful.
    Cheers

They actually sent me two different dampers that they were keeping as templates for a new production run.
    I had to send them back.

I tightened my oil line to the tank and it is closer than yours, maybe 1" out. Slight tweak and it should be good.

I picked up a package truck frame last week. Trying to find the frame no to identify what year it is.

I've been chipping away at a few things on my '25 this summer. It still has a few issues but I had it out a few times, including last weekend to an event. It attracts a lot of attention with its original paint, dents, and even rust. Guys were impressed when I fired it up and rode it away at the end of the event.

I did a little sidecar riding this summer and took my grandkids for a spin around the parking lot a few weeks ago. Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOt9xS9eFtk

PeterIMG_9999a.jpg

Peter, your '25 is a beauty! The '25 has parts from the last of the loop frames and the beginning of the first of a new breed with the new frame, tanks, etc. love the vid! Thanks for posting!

Thanks, it has a great look, for sure. You're right about those '25s. Some one year only parts, some shared with pre-'25 models and some shared with post '25.

My bike is pretty correct, although there are a few '25 only pieces I'm still looking for. Most notably an ignition switch and battery box. An original primary chain guard would be nice also, to replace that repro one (stands out a little, doesn't it.)

However, it's not a show bike so I'm ok with it the way it is. Riding down the road is the best thing.

Peter

IMG_8626a.jpg