Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: '27 JD Cut Down Project - SWAN

Thanks Eric, yours is a beautiful example of a cutdown; certainly my JD is not in league with the JDH. i understand the last 4 pics i posted are not a cut down, but more on the order of a "bob job." with the additional expense, potentially having to modify an original frame, i have pretty much decided i am going in a different direction. and i think my custom is not going to be a bob job either.

Steve,
    I know you want a disc brake front end, I don't blame you they way other drivers can be.
    Have you considered installing a late model Harley springer with a disc brake, or install a disc to an original JD springer.
    Cheers,
    Mick

My guess is one hard emergency stop with a disc on a J fork and it would be twisted like a pretzel. They were barely strong enough for the miserable drum of the time.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Twin discs and duct tape?

Sidecars put a big side load on the forks. Were these susceptible to twisting.
    Where the "I Beam" front ends developed to alleviate this twisting.

I agree with Robbie on the J fork with a disk brake. Late J front brakes were hill holders at best and never designed to take the stress of modern brakes. If a person really wanted to use a J fork with disk brakes, I think a well thought out (and attached) truss on the rigid leg would be in order.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886