Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: '27 JD Cut Down Project - SWAN

Default '27 JD Cut Down Project - SWAN

I'm reluctantly starting this thread, i guess in part to publicly commit to my insanity and in part to get some ideas where might begin with my latest considered endeavor...

I recently came into a very nice mostly complete later 27JD lower end, and as i already had a fair amount of spare parts including a new set of Stuart's '29 cylinders, transmission, clutch, generator and other miscellaneous parts, i went ahead and purchased the lower end against my better judgement; the price was such that apparently i could not resist...

I'm thinking a period cut down would be fun and also make the project hopefully a bit more affordable (i have no chassis parts at all...) I am thinking maybe a tasteful custom built of period parts or a JD chassis of any year; it kind of depends on what i can find for chassis parts at a price i can justify continuing my commitment. Out of curiosity, wondering if it's possible to squeeze the JD engine/transmission into a single/45 frame; does anyone know of anyone who's gone to the effort of fitting a JD engine/trans in a single/45 frame? i know it's going to sound like a crazy idea to some, or rather than modify as conservatively and cleverly as possible an original single/45 frame, i've even been considering a repro frame such as Paughco, etc; repro not necessarily the direction i would care to go, but on the other hand, at this point, i want to be open to any ideas to not limit possible options...

As i know we all enjoy builds, here are 2 pictures of the lower end. The flywheels rotate silky-smooth, there is no up and down movement of the rods which are also straight, but i am not sure what direction i want the engine build to go. I am entertaining either staying stock and containing my budget for the engine build and i am also entertaining going down the road with JIMS pins, Carillo rods, and T & O flywheels to make the engine into a durable rider, but for the time being i'm going to give myself a bit of time to catch my breath before i go nuts with whatever direction i am going to go. The pinion pin/bushing clearance is on the edge at .0035" and the rotary breather is too loose in its bushing to be within acceptable limits, so right there are 2 things that need to be corrected. i guess if i could get some reasonable amount of money out of the flywheel assembly, this could help offset the cost if i went the fancy lower end parts route. anyway. now that i've gone public, i guess we'll have to see what i post next as right now there are more unknowns than knowns.

s-l1600 (7).jpgs-l1600 (8).jpg
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 11-05-2018 at 01:52 AM. Reason: grammar

Steve, we are on the edge of our seats now! Good to see you take on a cut down. I’ve seen a J shoehorned into a VL frame, didn’t look right though. If you’re looking for unique and great, Matt Walksler and Justin Walls build amazing frames for cut downs.

Hey Will ! thanks for your reply, exactly the sort of info i am looking for. i hope i don't disappoint as i am on a budget and can't pay off credit card debt like i used to before i was retired so the project may go in slow motion or fits and starts.... sucks getting old, but then i am grateful for my good health, my freedom to not have to show up for a real job, so i can't complain one bit nor wish that i had to work for a living to be able to afford my whimsy... i dd not know Matt Walksler was building frames and have not heard of Justin Walls. Do you have any weblinks or contact info?

Default JD frame cutdown Finnigan Speer

JD frame cutdown Finnigan Speer
    IMG_1370.jpg

He's long gone Steve
    The Speer brothers were the HD dealer in San Bernardino, CA

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...story-feb.html

Quote Originally Posted by sswaney View Post
    He's long gone Steve
    The Speer brothers were the HD dealer in San Bernardino, CA

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...story-feb.html
    Ha! I'll look for Finnegan when my time comes to go where he went!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Swan View Post
    Ha! I'll look for Finnegan when my time comes to go where he went!
    May that be far far in the future Steve
    Here is some more cutdown stuff
    https://occhiolungo.wordpress.com/20...objobs-part-1/