Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '27 JD Cut Down Project - SWAN

Steve, Finnegan worked for Dudley Perkins in S.F. before moving south. He and his brother also manufactured frame straightening tables with updated fixtures as models changed. I'm glad some one sent you the link to my very old articles #1 and #2 I wrote for Occhio Lungo. I wanted you to have them when I first read your new thread but I still use a flip phone, a pencil, stamps, and sealing wax. Hope they help you. Rich
    DrSprocket

Quote Originally Posted by RichO View Post
    Steve, Finnegan worked for Dudley Perkins in S.F. before moving south. He and his brother also manufactured frame straightening tables with updated fixtures as models changed. I'm glad some one sent you the link to my very old articles #1 and #2 I wrote for Occhio Lungo. I wanted you to have them when I first read your new thread but I still use a flip phone, a pencil, stamps, and sealing wax. Hope they help you. Rich
    Thank you Rich! i did not realize cut down's were such as they are, some pretty sophisticated modifications and so popular back in the day. i can only imagine a JDH was the real outfit to have and all the engine mods these guys did on their own to make their motors really run. It's really great to see period pictures of these machines and an era within an era of how these machines were modified. The gas tanks (and frames) are particularly interesting; definitely a departure from factory in there efforts to give a sculpted, jaunty and lowered sleekness to the entire machine. i just printed off your 2011 article and as i am in the early very early stages of deciding what direction i am going to go, your article will provide grist for the mill. I don't have the "push" for a dater i would like to see this project finished like i did when i restored my '27 while i was still working (when i had earning power) and before i knew of more resource then than i know of now, so it'll be interesting to see where the project takes me as i take it. since my basis will be a JD, in comparison to a JDH, i may be coming for an angle of a poor man's cut down. we shall see......

It's nice with a JDH but with JD also.

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    It's nice with a JDH but with JD also.

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg
    Eric, that's a very nice JDH there!

considering i don't know anything about cut downs, i realize i am going to have a number of questions coming out of the starting gate.

are these cut down frames originals or are they being reproduced? or, are there more than one type of cut down frame being produced by different people and if so, who?

considering i don't have a front fork (or frame) i am considering for the price a later EL/UL front fork such as a Samwel; wondering if the stem is same diameter and length as JD? and, is an EL/UL fork wider? also what is offset vs. inline? maybe the most relevant question is, is a fork like the Samwel worth considering or more modifications than worth the time/expense?

0260101BS.jpg

as i said before, at this point, i'm just trying to identify chassis options including up to pre-war era.

i can imagine a kid, back in the day, getting a JD with a wrecked front end and finding a later front end and making it work with a JD frame, but then my imagination may be fantasy or simply unrealistic...
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 11-09-2018 at 02:00 AM.