Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electrical problems with Chief

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    Jeff!

PS: Sorry Bill,
    But CE endmount regulators are not only ugly, they interfere with Chummee assist springs.
    (And lock you in for any future regulator replacements.)
    I am upgrading my 6V to a 12V system on my '48 Chief. It's generator is now a Bosch from a VW that I have run since the '60s. I bought the Cycle Electric generator from Starklite instead of directly from CE because I trust Gary Stark to know what will work on my bike -- and I am not afraid to give him his profit on the deal. Now, I am concerned. We will take a very close look at this and will be sending the CE back to California if it does not work with my helper springs.
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com

1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

BTW, I agree with Cotten that the CE end mount regulator generators are ugly. I just hope my good looks make up for it!
    Last edited by Coolbreeze; 11-04-2018 at 01:28 PM. Reason: add words to clarify
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com

1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Just a quick note but I and all my restored Chief friends regularly get 40-50,000 miles out of a properly restored Autolite 6 Volt generator. I don't really see the reason to go 12 volts unless you ride a lot at night and need a brighter headlight than the "night light" of Indians. When I say restored generator I mean a rewound armature, new wiring and probably new field coils. Regulators were optional on ALL models after 1936 which used the 2 wire generators. But these systems were designed for large lead acid batteries not the mini alarm system batteries that some people are using. That new electronic voltage regulator is a great, though expensive, safety play if using a small battery as it controls voltage much faster than the old Autolite regulator. BTW, I used to rebuild a lot of them for friends on the East Coast, just stopped recently.

Quote Originally Posted by cdf6333 View Post
    Just a quick note but I and all my restored Chief friends regularly get 40-50,000 miles out of a properly restored Autolite 6 Volt generator. I don't really see the reason to go 12 volts unless you ride a lot at night and need a brighter headlight than the "night light" of Indians. When I say restored generator I mean a rewound armature, new wiring and probably new field coils. Regulators were optional on ALL models after 1936 which used the 2 wire generators. But these systems were designed for large lead acid batteries not the mini alarm system batteries that some people are using. That new electronic voltage regulator is a great, though expensive, safety play if using a small battery as it controls voltage much faster than the old Autolite regulator. BTW, I used to rebuild a lot of them for friends on the East Coast, just stopped recently.
    Golly, Bob!

Properly working 6v generator systems always seemed to have just as bright of headlights as 12v systems.
    When 6v halogens came out, I couldn't tell what was coming at me.
    (LEDs gotta be even better, right?)

The advantages of 12v are entirely convenience, as bulbs are everywhere, and often batteries can be found on the shelf.
    The wiring doesn't have to be so youthful, or heavy duty, either.

So I agree, there is little reason to convert if you have most of the 6v hardware already.
    And no reason if it works!

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Hey Bob,I thought the regulator was introduced as a new feature in 48.I assume this also included the new tow wire generator.
    Are you saying the 48 package was available as an option post 36?
    Thanks
    Tom
    Last edited by tfburke3; 11-09-2018 at 12:13 PM.

Yes I is. It was a $5 option most of those years. Slightly different regulator in 1948 and up to accommodate the idiot light, but mechanically the same.
    I attach a Service Shot in the next post
    Last edited by cdf6333; 11-10-2018 at 09:28 AM.

I'll try these jpgs but I think they're too big also
    Attachment 23198[ATTACH=CONFIG]23199[/ATTACH

Another try

gen id.jpggen id0001.jpg
    Last edited by cdf6333; 11-10-2018 at 03:08 PM. Reason: add low resolution jpgs

You're saying that you get a 6 Volt halogen bulb or an LED into a Motolamp shell? How? I could certainly use more light as I get old-as-hell.

You're saying that you get a 6 Volt halogen bulb or an LED into a Motolamp shell? How? I could certainly use more light as I get old-as-hell.
    Now that you mention it, Bob!

I have a John Brown on my Chief with the reflector cut out of something modern, and yeah, an H4 socket.

That was easy; fixin' the fossil bezel wasn't.

...Cotten
    PS: I still think I can see better with a sealed beam than a halogen.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-10-2018 at 04:35 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

I'll try these jpgs but I think they're too big also
    Attachment 23198[ATTACH=CONFIG]23199[/ATTACH

Another try

gen id.jpggen id0001.jpg
    Thanks for the generator info and the literature pics to document years available.Always cool to see old factory print.
    Tom
    Tom