Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1971 Frame tab

Default 1971 Frame tab

Hi , Can anyone tell me the purpose of this tab welded to my 1971 FLH frame ? It is about an inch away from the shifter mount and has a 5/16 - 18 nut welded to it . Thanks , Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hydraulic brake line mount.

Jerry

The mount the brake light switch was bolted to.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Mike, does your rear brake line run down the R-H side of the bike and then go behind the trans to the left side of the frame?
    Eric

Hi Eric , I don't know . Its a basket case , I'm starting from scratch .

Cheers Mike. For 1958–69 Big Twins the tab had a brake line tee bolted to it. The brake line ran across the front of the engine into the tee and out the other side, continuing along the left side of the bike. Also attached to the tee was a stop light switch.

But as of 1970 models, according to Bruce Palmer’s resto book, the brake line ran down the R-H side of the bike and then went behind the trans case to the left side of the frame. Therefore the tab was not required but it remained in place for a couple of years anyway.

Are there any brake lines among your parts?
    Eric

Hi Eric , Yes I have some brake lines and it looks like I have the one that goes behind the tranny . Can you tell me where the tee ( with the brake light switch ) bolts to ? Thank you for your help , Mike

Youíre welcome. I donít know exactly where the stop light switch is mounted for 71. My Harley parts catalog ending with 1971 Shovels doesnít help because its illustration of the line routing is the same as in my 58Ė68 catalog.

Iím wondering if the tee is mounted to the back of the trans plate?

If we canít find an answer in the next couple of days Iíll email a guy I know with a 71 FLH in Europe.
    Eric

I contacted my friend in Europe and asked for photos of his 71 brake line and switch. He replied but heís away this week on business so heíll send pictures on the weekend. Iíll let you know as soon as I get them.
    Eric

The brake tee bolts to the right front trans plate hole.
    VPH-D