Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1971 Frame tab

Here's a photo of a '71 FLH brake line, the front of the cycle would be to the right side of photo. It runs down the right frame rail and crosses under the transmission over to the left side. I would say judging by the hole dia's on the mounting tabs and locations it secures to transmission mounting bolts.

Thanks VPH-D and badger34.

I've put correction notes in my copy of Palmerís SE regarding the routing of the brake line and the position of the switch.

badger34, thanks for the photo. Is that brake line from a mid-71/late-71 as opposed to early-71? I notice it has what may be front tube bracket #42314-71 but I donít see that bracket in my 61Ė71 catalog so Iím wondering if early-71s didnít have it?

And inside that bracket is there a hose pad #42319-72? My later catalogs indicate 71s didnít have a hose pad.
    Eric

That brake line is from an orig paint surviving cycle in the lower half of the 8,000# vin range, maybe an early unit given roughly 38,000 cycles in total were manufactured in 1971. The H-D factory says 5,475 FLH's were manufactured during 1971. I do not recall a hose pad being behind the bracket at disassembly and the bracket is permanently affixed to the front line section.

Thank you. I looked through my engine number photos and in them I see the first section of brake line for two 71FLHs and a 71FX. One FLH appears to have the front tube bracket as a permanent part of the line. The other two bikes have their bracket separate to the line and they both have a hose pad inside the bracket. However, I donít know if any of the three lines are original to the bikes.
    Eric

My 1970 FLH has the tab but doesn't have anything attached to it. The brake line is routed along the right frame and crosses over near the transmission.
    Kurly