Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nikasil replating on JD cylinders

I'd be interested to hear about this too. What I've looked into on the Nickaseal process, they cannot do blind cylinders, so pocket valve and early single piece Indian cylinders are out, too bad because it;s a great process.

gene

Quote Originally Posted by gharper View Post
    I'd be interested to hear about this too. What I've looked into on the Nickaseal process, they cannot do blind cylinders, so pocket valve and early single piece Indian cylinders are out, too bad because it;s a great process.

gene
    Gene, I just had the bores of two Indian PowerPlus cylinders plated and bored by U S Chrome in Fondulac, WI. They are blind cylinders. It took a while because they are not used to working on old stuff and they were afraid to touch them at first. The bores look beautiful though, and they were able to fill in some pits and imperfections. Im not sure what the limits of their process are, but they took my cylinders from 3.147 inches to 3.125 inches. I intend to ask them how thick they can go, because I have some more cylinders that I want to take back to standard size. I haven't installed the plated cylinders yet, so I can't speak to performance or durability, but I will say that they look very good. They call their plating NiCom rather than Nicasil, I suspect it's similar but I can't say for sure. I think they do a lot of watercraft and dirt bikes, but Joe Walano (the Guzzi Doctor) uses them to replate Moto Guzzi cylinders. He referred me to them.

Sorry if I'm off topic, I'm a little unsure what this thread is about. If you want any more info, just let me know. Unfortunately I'm not at home, so I can't send pictures at this time.

Kevin

Kevin,

Perfect, good to know! I have some X cylinders that need a lot of help!

Gene

Hi Eric, What is chemical nickel ? Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivor View Post
    Hi Eric, What is chemical nickel ? Please.
    I've used the Caswell kit, and been very pleased with the results.

https://www.caswellplating.com/elect...ting-kits.html
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Thanks Eric, I'm not sure how to mask the valve guides and seats or the bores, but I will look into it tomorrow. Ivor.

When you contact Caswell, ask about a plating mask. A friend gave me some masking liquid that is brushed on the areas you want to mask. I have also seen electrical tape used on bolt, and screw threads.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
    Anybody ever have nikasil plating done on JD cylinders. Curious how it would work on them.

Jerry
    In one of my Nuts and Bolts articles we discussed Millenium Technologies. ://www.millennium-tech.net/serviceInfo.php?id=1

The can plate up to .050 thick. They do hu dreds of cylinders a month. They said normally a truing of the cylinder, plate it back down, the finish hone. Its very hard so they said special diamond hones are used. The fellow i spoke with is an AMCA member with a Pope, familiar with the blind bore.
    Dan Margolien
    Yankee Chapter National Meet August 3/4 2018 NEW LOCATION at the TERRYVILLE FAIRGROUNDS, Terryville CT http://www.bing.com/local?lid=YN873x...ir&FORM=SNAPST
    Yankeechapter.org
    pocketvalve@gmail.com
    JD enthusiasts: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/harleyjd/