Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Indian four oil pump adjustment.

Thanks Larry,
    I don't know what the compression poundage of the spring should be. So, going back to basics, I now understand that too much oil pressure can erode the babbit, and from all of the information that I have seen, I feel comfortable with setting the spill pressure at 40lbs. BTW, I have just found this mentioned in a Indian 4 overhaul manual ; Gear oil pump, Adjusted pressure 30 pounds.
    Maximum pressure after motor is warmed up - 15 pounds minimum. Light oil.
    I'm assuming that this is a pressure gauge reading on an assembled motor.( Allowing for leakage from around the bearings )
    Anyway, I'm testing the pump, just as in Roy's video and the pump reaches high pressure evan when turned slowly and takes a little time to drop to zero after I stop turning the pump. No noticeable end float on the oil pump shaft and it doesn't feel like it's binding either, so 'all-in-all' I feel happy with the pump.
    What I have done is, cut the spring length down, so when the adjuster is wound in half way, the oil spills at 40lbs.
    Thanks again for all your help, and I hope I'm not responsible for any grey hairs ! But this site is my only life-line.

Ivor,
    You are tenacious like a bull dog pup! Good approach on the spring. I urge you to set spill with a modern gauge....then read with your original US gauge and note the difference in reading......and remember it...for me that is sometimes hard to do, like to many PIN numbers.

Yes, I went and got a new gauge as you recommended on one of your first replies, it reads in BAR, but translates to read 5lbs less than my original gauge.

Ivor,
    Hope all goes well with the 4, know it is frustrating, but persistence with a 4 is important!
    Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Thanks for those kind and supportive words Larry. It all took a turn for the worst yesterday when the front engine mount fell off ! I explained in a reply to my torque setting post.

Here's wishing you and yours a merry Christmas and a happy new year as well !
    Ivor.