Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Unpublished early HD history documents

581 miles to the factory I think

The first scan is one of the photos I had made from the glass plate negatives Herb found in the basement of the Milwaukee County Historical Society. All those negatives are now in the HD archives. If I remember correctly they are Becker, Ollerman and Thoms at the State Fair track in West Allis in 1912.

The next is an article from the Wisconsin Motorist magazine by our buddy Lacy Crolius.

The last is a cover from a typical Wisconsin Motorist magazine. Beautiful artwork. I don't know the name of the artist. These magazines had a ton of info for everything with a motor back in the day. Great articles and photos. I believe there is a complete run of these magazines at the Smithsonian or Library of Congress and a partial run at the Milwaukee County Historical Society.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by pem View Post
    The first scan is one of the photos I had made from the glass plate negatives Herb found in the basement of the Milwaukee County Historical Society. All those negatives are now in the HD archives. If I remember correctly they are Becker, Ollerman and Thoms at the State Fair track in West Allis in 1912.

The next is an article from the Wisconsin Motorist magazine by our buddy Lacy Crolius.

The last is a cover from a typical Wisconsin Motorist magazine. Beautiful artwork. I don't know the name of the artist. These magazines had a ton of info for everything with a motor back in the day. Great articles and photos. I believe there is a complete run of these magazines at the Smithsonian or Library of Congress and a partial run at the Milwaukee County Historical Society.
    The track photo above I've seen the men identified L-R as Edwin Sherbie Becker, Frank Ollerman and Ray Comstock.

Is there a second page to the 1909 Wisconsin Motorist Crolius article?

Thanks again pem!

You are correct. Comstock went on to race Perry's motorcycles. He is the first racer in this photo.

Sorry, I can't find the second page right now. I'm sure I have it somewhere. So here is a photo of L.C. Rosenkranz from Aug 1912. I don't remember seeing many photos of him as he was usually behind the camera.

The Milwaukee Motorcycle Club circa 1909/10. A lot of prominent names from the Milwaukee motorcycle scene. By October 1911 they are disbanded. I wonder what could have caused that. Politics? Fighting? ?
    Last edited by pem; 09-29-2018 at 09:15 AM.

It seems lack of participation combined with delinquent member dues and a club room lease payment were the deciding factors in Oct 1911. Motorcycle races at the Milwaukee Mile in 1912 were promoted by both the Wisconsin Motorcycle Club and the Cream City Motorcycle Club. The Milwaukee Motorcycle Club came back big in 1913 organizing under the F.A.M. in April and purchasing their own club house location. I don't believe 1912 was the only down time for the club, I'd have to dig into my records but I think later in the teens the participation issues resurfaced and again threatened the club's existence. This may coincide with WWI participation. Strong promotion and business/manufacturer participation again brought about a club resurgence.

My grandparents, grandfather's cousin and many of their friends & fellow H-D coworkers were all Milwaukee MC club members during the 1930's. It's this period which first drew me to researching the H-D Mo Co, Milwaukee and Wisconsin motorcycle history. I have some great family memorabilia from this era.
    Last edited by badger34; 09-29-2018 at 03:57 PM.