Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Unpublished early HD history documents

Here is the page from the 1909 HD sales brochure. The Wisconsin State Historical Society has the original copy. When I looked at it in the 1990's you could still handle it and make copies. I told them they need to lock it up. Way to many crooked people out there. The Jefferson County Historical Society had an original 1913/14 postcard of a Jefferson twin. Just beautiful. I made a copy and donated all my research at that time because they had nothing except the post card. I went back a year later and somebody stole the whole file. So I made copies for them again.

On this 1909 scan it clearly gives the dates 1904/1905 next to the backyard shed. Herb had this in his book too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The first is an ad showing 1954 as the 50th Anniversary of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co. Most everybody reading this probably knows this already.

Here is scan of what I remember is from the Milwaukee Journal in 1936 showing the backyard shed. They said it was there in 1902 already and they built 6 motorcycles in 1903 and 1904. Ya right!

The last is an article from Oct. 31, 1912 "Motorcycling" magazine. Some people already had a very hard time believing the motorcycle manufacturers advertising hype 106 years ago.
    Last edited by pem; 09-20-2018 at 10:27 AM.

More great material Dick!

You are correct the shed clipping from 1936 was published in the Milw Journal on Saturday 10-03-1936. What was the source of the 2003 Rosenblum rebuttal to At The Creation, maybe H.O.G. magazine? Enjoyed the untruthful mc trades article and the Waverly mfg documents. Thanks for keeping things interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by badger34 View Post
    More great material Dick!

You are correct the shed clipping from 1936 was published in the Milw Journal on Saturday 10-03-1936. What was the source of the 2003 Rosenblum rebuttal to At The Creation, maybe H.O.G. magazine? Enjoyed the untruthful mc trades article and the Waverly mfg documents. Thanks for keeping things interesting!
    The Rosenblum article was in a Milwaukee Journal newspaper right before the Elton John Extravaganza. But when I cut out the article I mistakenly left off the date. Duh!

I also have a review of Herb's book from the Journal which I will post.

Your Welcome

Following are interesting articles about a contest in Milwaukee during August 1910 to choose a motorcycle for the Milwaukee Police Dept. I believe at this time the Milwaukee Sheriff Dept. already had a HD motorcycle.

Also note that there is a Milwaukee made Comet racing. By this time I thought that the Milwaukee made Comet was already out of business. This must have been the last hurrah for that make. I hope to have a article about the Comet for our club magazine soon.

Quote Originally Posted by pem View Post
    Following are interesting articles about a contest in Milwaukee during August 1910 to choose a motorcycle for the Milwaukee Police Dept. I believe at this time the Milwaukee Sheriff Dept. already had a HD motorcycle.

Also note that there is a Milwaukee made Comet racing. By this time I thought that the Milwaukee made Comet was already out of business. This must have been the last hurrah for that make. I hope to have a article about the Comet for our club magazine soon.
    Thank you for sharing these wonderful articles, i am enjoying reading them! i have Herb Wagner's "At the Beginning and have read it three times and get something new each time i've read it.

i don't know a thing about Rosenblum but it sounds like there were "connections" and "politics" that awarded him the position and then preserved his "tenure."

I just thought I'd relate this bit of information that would seem to fit on this thread. It must have been twenty years ago give or take that I was sitting with a bunch of guys with Dale Walksler upstairs at his home (three story x-hospital) in Mount Vernon when he said I should write an article about what he was going to show me. I 'd never really thought about what the Company was passing down as their history of starting in 1903. Dale showed me a couple of pre-teen Enthusiast I believe they were that stated the Company started in 1904. Exact wording was like two years ago we were founded and this was in a 1905 copy, 1907 copy stated four years ago. You get the idea. Then Dale said look at this and I don't remember the exact year of the copy but it said we were found X amount of years ago and it came out as 1903. So even that far back they started to alter their history for whatever reason. I never did anything with the information but I know everyone in the room that day was then convinced the jig was up, the genie was out of the bottle, etc.
    DrSprocket