Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 1965 Panhead Tanks

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    130

    Default 1965 Panhead Tanks

    I have asked on this question on another forum (caimag), but am also making the inquiry here as well.

    Is there a template out there for getting the correct location of the color scheme for the 1965 Panhead tanks?

    Going to be starting on my 65 this Fall and trying to get my ducks lined up ahead of time so I do not end up at a stand still with the paint. I would like to use the same painter that did my 49 sheetmetal but to my knowledge he has never done a paint set for 1965 models.

    Any help or leads appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Central Illinois, USA
    Posts
    3,680

    Default

    Great question, Panz4ever!

    I have two sets in black waiting a few years for the Birch White.

    Problem is mine are 3.5s;
    There are dual 'consensus' for the layout, and I only want to do it twice.

    (Even precise photos would be appreciated, thanks in advance,...)

    ....Cotten
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-27-2018 at 03:05 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

  3. #3

    Default

    Hey panz4ever.... I have 3 pics of an OP right tank with a seamstress's tape up against it. It's what i used to paint my wife's '65. panhead restore_0285.jpgpanhead restore_0285.jpgpanhead restore_0286.jpgpanhead restore_0287.jpg

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    Great question, Panz4ever!

    I have two sets in black waiting a few years for the Birch White.

    Problem is mine are 3.5s;
    There are dual 'consensus' for the layout, and I only want to do it twice.

    (Even precise photos would be appreciated, thanks in advance,...)

    ....Cotten
    The photos you show are of my bike. If you tell me EXACTLY what measurements or photos you need I will try to help if you like.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omarttentmaker View Post
    Hey panz4ever.... I have 3 pics of an OP right tank with a seamstress's tape up against it. It's what i used to paint my wife's '65. panhead restore_0285.jpgpanhead restore_0285.jpgpanhead restore_0286.jpgpanhead restore_0287.jpg
    K...good start. Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by jwl View Post
    The photos you show are of my bike. If you tell me EXACTLY what measurements or photos you need I will try to help if you like.
    jwl, my tanks are 5 gal and it looks like yours in the pics are as well.

    Guess precise pics with the tape will help. Want to be able to duplicate the exact position of the striping (as well as width) and depth of the blue before the lower Birch white panel kicks in.

    Need to be able to see/determine exactly where you positioned your tape (pic block that) in order to correctly loctae the solid top, stripe, and solid bottom.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by panz4ever View Post
    K...good start. Thanks



    jwl, my tanks are 5 gal and it looks like yours in the pics are as well.

    Guess precise pics with the tape will help. Want to be able to duplicate the exact position of the striping (as well as width) and depth of the blue before the lower Birch white panel kicks in.

    Need to be able to see/determine exactly where you positioned your tape (pic block that) in order to correctly loctae the solid top, stripe, and solid bottom.
    My tanks, the ones in Cotten's pics, are 3.5. As you can see, the emblem is in the lower color. On 5's, the emblem is in the upper color.

  7. #7

    Default

    The tape starts at the intersection of the bung and the top of the tank.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Central Illinois, USA
    Posts
    3,680

    Default

    JWL!

    Since its all going to be "eyeballed" anyway, I would appreciate just a few level shots from the sides, top, and front.
    (The little thumbnails are futile...)

    And the width of the stripe of course.

    (If its easiest send them to liberty@npoint.net)

    Many thanks!

    ....Cotten
    PS: I found out the hard way Folks,
    Never lay out tank panels or badges without hanging both tanks on a frame and stand back for perspective.
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-28-2018 at 12:20 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    JWL!

    Since its all going to be "eyeballed" anyway, I would appreciate just a few level shots from the sides, top, and front.
    (The little thumbnails are futile...)

    And the width of the stripe of course.

    (If its easiest send them to liberty@npoint.net)

    Many thanks!

    ....Cotten
    PS: I found out the hard way Folks,
    Never lay out tank panels or badges without hanging both tanks on a frame and stand back for perspective.
    Tom, I emailed you 6 pictures in 2 separate emails. Please let me know if you don't get them and I will try again. John Lindemann

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Central Illinois, USA
    Posts
    3,680

    Default

    Got 'em, John!

    And I'll share them with whomever wishes...

    I appreciate that you measured out everything and all, but such close pics are like looking through a telescope.

    At your convenience (my two paint jobs are already a decade and a half in progress...) it would be great to get a perspective a bit farther away.

    How did the Factory lay them out, anyway?

    ....Cotten
    PS: I'm off to Davenport, so it may be a while before I can digest them.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •