Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 35 year rule has this finally reached a limit of what is an antique? 1985 is it?

When I started this thread it was to open our eyes to what the club is really about from the start. Great that there was such good input as to what is an antique. I think from what has been said here is that there has always been change to the club, and really most of the time for the good.

The time for another change is now. So to give us all time to settle in with the thought of a fixed time to say what an antique is here is my idea. Class 8 should be the end of it. Just that simple. No need for a class 9,10,etc. Anything beyond would be a pointless mockery to the club founding.

With mass production of today nothing will ever be an antique or unique for any reason. Judging value in the future will mean nothing. It will be like another show in the parking lot of a fast food dive. Everybody gets a participation award just drive on in.

I call upon our board to move on this as soon as reasonable to preserve the future for our club. Class 8 is enough already we really don't need a carbon fiber adorned motorcycle class some day.
    #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Quote Originally Posted by KNUCK View Post
    When I started this thread it was to open our eyes to what the club is really about from the start. Great that there was such good input as to what is an antique. I think from what has been said here is that there has always been change to the club, and really most of the time for the good.

The time for another change is now. So to give us all time to settle in with the thought of a fixed time to say what an antique is here is my idea. Class 8 should be the end of it. Just that simple. No need for a class 9,10,etc. Anything beyond would be a pointless mockery to the club founding.

With mass production of today nothing will ever be an antique or unique for any reason. Judging value in the future will mean nothing. It will be like another show in the parking lot of a fast food dive. Everybody gets a participation award just drive on in.

I call upon our board to move on this as soon as reasonable to preserve the future for our club. Class 8 is enough already we really don't need a carbon fiber adorned motorcycle class some day.
    Just curious, Folks,..

Why should the next generation need the AMCA anyway?

Thanks in advance,..

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

I beg to disagree. I'll guarantee you my 1996 road king is no more similar to whats new on the showroom today than a knuck is to a shovelhead. Its all a matter of perspective. The days of 2 guys in a wooden shed building machines for the public is gone. Time has marched on. If the youth is going to be able to afford an antique the 35 year criteria must remain the same. Personally I find changes that occur in the 80's and 90's very interesting. On another note, there was a 1913 Flying Merkel at Davenport for sale at 200K. How many of us would have loved to take this home? But its just not realistic for club expectations. I have old as well as newer bikes, and they all amaze me. There is a real danger here that youth will no longer care for these oil dripping underpowered machines that we adore, why compound it with more rules. Let people enjoy what they can attain.
    Last edited by jorrow; 09-04-2018 at 03:41 PM.

Excellent point Tom.

I disagree simply for the fact that though there may be many more units manufactured today how many stay unmodified in even the smallest way. Hard to find a pristine "as it came from the factory" example of anything today or yesterday.
    DrSprocket

Don't confuse me Folks,...

All this "class" and "as it came from the factory" noise is just 'microcosm' judging perspective.

(Don't get me started on that.)

Is the AMCA "sustainable"?

....Cotten
    PS: Thanks again in advance if there is ever an answer.
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-04-2018 at 04:00 PM.
    AMCA #776

Cotten's observation, "Is the AMCA sustainable?" is a very good one. i don't think it's going to matter much, if any at all, what we think, what we decide, and what we do as it affects things 100 years from now; i can only hope the AMCA will still be around in the year 2118. It sort of makes sense that any chance of the AMCA's existence 100 years from now stands a better chance if interest in old bikes is inclusive not exclusive. Either that or seriously look at what the word "antique" means to the existence of the AMCA after we and all the young folks in 2018 are gone in another 50 or so years. What we decide today stands a good chance of revision or being done away with all together in the future. As it stands, the AMCA's cut-off year for a bike being an "antique" is now 1983. If the AMCA is a club for "antique" motorcycles, then it makes sense (at least to us living in 2018) to use 1983 as a cutoff date for what motorcycles we thnk can belong to the AMCA. 100 years from now, if the AMCA is still exists, there's a reasonable probability those members might feel differently about motorcycles built in 2018 being excluded. I think what we are talking about is handing down the legacy of what enthusiasts of motorcycling's heritage is about and at least somewhat assured. I don't have a clue what that will look like in the year 2118.
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 09-04-2018 at 04:16 PM. Reason: grammar error correction

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Swan View Post
    Cotten's observation, "Is the AMCA sustainable?" is a very good one. ...
    Thanks Steve!

But my question still needs an answer.

I need to hone my career 'exit strategy'.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-04-2018 at 04:47 PM.
    AMCA #776

In the not-too-distant future, Electric Harleys will be 35 years old, judging them will be exciting . . .
    . . . no?

*yawn*
    Rich Inmate #7084

Quote Originally Posted by frichie68 View Post
    In the not-too-distant future, Electric Harleys will be 35 years old, judging them will be exciting . . .
    . . . no?

*yawn*
    Seriously, Folks,...

Perhaps two years lately at D-port, there was this DeWalt or whatever screwgun-driven bicycle, this year close enough to witness a heavy payload and chassis issues, but went down the fairgrounds like it would go all the way to the big city.

Ain't gonna need to restore one of those screwguns.
    (..if ya got wifi...)

But it showcased knucklebusting that will only be a keyboard disease some day.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-04-2018 at 05:50 PM.
    AMCA #776