Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: VL Trans rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpa View Post
    I did note on assembly that there was a clearance fit between the gear and the bearing and consequently I mounted the gear with red Loc tight. That might be the where the offset happened.
    I not sure you should have a clearance fit between the main drive gear and the large bearing. I measured my main drive gear and got 1.575" OD and the ID of my (6208-2RS) bearing is 1.574". That would seem about right for a very light interference fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Luland View Post
    Anyone have a straight mainshaft available?

https://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepart...Mainshaft-1196
    Like I was saying in post #69 the mainshaft I bought checked out to be straight. The keyways leave something to be desired (post #46) but all things considered a great product and I recommend you as a provider. The problem seems to be in how I installed the 208PP sealed bearing, I'm guessing it was cocked slightly. Removed and am installing a different one to eliminate that variable. At this point I'm considering changing from heating the case to freezing the bearing.
    I don't mean to brag but; I put together a puzzle in only a week when the box clearly said "2-4 years".

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Cooke View Post
    I not sure you should have a clearance fit between the main drive gear and the large bearing. I measured my main drive gear and got 1.575" OD and the ID of my (6208-2RS) bearing is 1.574". That would seem about right for a very light interference fit.
    I agree, my memory failed me I believe and that's my only excuse. It wasn't a clearance fit at all it was a very light interference fit as you describe. In hindsight I was probably just being OCD on not wanting the main drive gear to spin inside of the bearing. More likely the bearing was cocked slightly.
    I don't mean to brag but; I put together a puzzle in only a week when the box clearly said "2-4 years".