Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VL Trans rebuild

I don't mean to brag but; I put together a puzzle in only a week when the box clearly said "2-4 years".

That's it. The later countershaft gear has deeper teeth at the small end to mesh with the 1931-36 main drive gear, and also takes the longer 2306-32 needle rollers to replace the earlier 2289-17 caged rollers. The needle rollers need inner and outer thrust washers. Today you can buy the 2308-16 end plate in various thicknesses to set up the countershaft end float in the case from free running to around ten thousandths. Main problem I've found with the early cluster gears is that the short roller wears well past any available oversizes for rebuilding. Many 1925-30 JD/VL owners are replacing the whole countershaft gear assembly with the 1932-36 style. I also use the 1931-36 unstepped mainshaft to avoid soldering those pesky split bronze bushings.

Okay so can anyone say with any certainty what the finish was on the Chain Guard Clutch Plate 3812-30 or 3812-32? Or the 2501-25 Clutch Dust ring?IMG_2074.jpg

I've been assuming the Chain Guard Clutch Plate would be gloss black to match the Front Chain Guard inner upper & lower pieces.

The Clutch Dust ring I have no clue. I had mine CAD plated when I did the g'box lid and kicker cover but it probably should be just parkerised.

They're usually covered in rust and filth when I see them, and an AMCA judge will need better knees than I've got, plus a penlight torch and a dental mirror, to prove us wrong. I've had a couple of nos dust rings, I think one parkerized and one black enamel, but that does not mean they were made before 1935. Maybe the early ones were flat nickel, then cad around 1930, then parkerized? On the chain guard clutch plates, the 1932-35 brackets look parkerised, but I have one cad, possibly replated. The clutch plate itself is often shiny under all the dirt. Flat nickel, cad or zinc are all possibilities depending when they were made. These are not items which give me sleepless nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Cooke View Post
    I've been assuming the Chain Guard Clutch Plate would be gloss black to match the Front Chain Guard inner upper & lower pieces.
    That's pretty much what I figured as well Pete thanks man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
    They're usually covered in rust and filth when I see them....These are not items which give me sleepless nights.
    Lol me either, it's just that since everything's apart and cleaned up I thought I'd ask. Thanks Steve

Okay so I need some education here. My 2296-31 main drive gear has oil passages: IMG_2077.jpg which would indicate movement relative to the mainshaft bushing 2297-31. Yet the 2297-31 bushing has oil passages on the ID as well which would indicate movement relative to the mainshaft. What am I missing? Is the 35094-31 bushing the same as the 35094-65 split back bushing?
    I don't mean to brag but; I put together a puzzle in only a week when the box clearly said "2-4 years".

I think that's actually a 2296-25 main drive gear. Looking at your 5th photo in post#7 and reading Steve's comments in post #10 re the bore sizes you may have your part numbers around the wrong way in your photo.

It reads like the earlier gear has the smaller ID and needs to be bored to use the later bushing.

In the earlier set up the bushing was soldered to the mainshaft which would explain the oil passages in the main drive gear.
    Last edited by Peter Cooke; 08-18-2018 at 09:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Yes, it is the -25 main drive gear which has the spirals cut in the steel, and less wide teeth than the -31 version. The -65 bushing is shorter than the original -31 VL one, but all we can find these days and seems to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
    Yes, it is the -25 main drive gear which has the spirals cut in the steel, and less wide teeth than the -31 version. The -65 bushing is shorter than the original -31 VL one, but all we can find these days and seems to do the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Cooke View Post
    I think that's actually a 2296-25 main drive gear. Looking at your 5th photo in post#7 and reading Steve's comments in post #10 re the bore sizes you may have your part numbers around the wrong way in your photo.

It reads like the earlier gear has the smaller ID and needs to be bored to use the later bushing.

In the earlier set up the bushing was soldered to the mainshaft which would explain the oil passages in the main drive gear.
    Okay now I understand a little better now, thanks! What came out of the tranny was the 2272-30 shaft with the 2296-31 gear, NOT the 2296-25 spiraled gear like you'd expect (thus my confusion). That helps a lot, thank you gentlemen.IMG_2080.jpg