Thread: VL rear crash bars

Default VL rear crash bars

Hey does anyone happen to have a set of VL rear crash bars? I have a couple sets, both of which had the spacers cut off by some Al-Qaeda operatives. So I'm fabricating repair spacers and would like to confirm my guesstimates. I came up with the following: ID = .350, OD = .600 and HT = .600. Can anyone confirm or deny these allegations?missing spacers.jpgmissing spacers 2.jpg
    I don't mean to brag but; I put together a puzzle in only a week when the box clearly said "2-4 years".

VL rear crashbars with "spacers" cut off are 45 crash bars...Osama likely rode a 45!!
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

I also think they will be 45 crash bars, so trial fit before making any spacers. The VL rear crash bars are hard to find, and my theory is that they only came out in 1935 with the small twin crash bars. Someone is selling repro VL crash bars out of Germany, but they are not identical to the originals nor made out of that tough Harley spring steel.

Gentlemen, these bars are not 45 as there are obvious signs that the spacers were cut off, probably for use on a 45 though. I have the residual spacers where the original spacer weld didn't penetrate. IMG_1886.jpg
    Last edited by Grumpa; 07-28-2018 at 08:46 AM.
    I don't mean to brag but; I put together a puzzle in only a week when the box clearly said "2-4 years".

In any case, I just need someone to do a quick check on their bars for the dimensions.

I bought what I thought was a 45 rear crash bar a while back not knowing that the 45 bar did not have spacers. I have not cut them off yet. I will look for the proper 45 bar. The spacers are 0.675" diameter and project 0.650" above the bar.VL crash bar 008.jpg
    Last edited by Tom Wilcock; 07-28-2018 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilcock View Post
    I bought what I thought was a 45 rear crash bar a while back not knowing that the 45 bar did not have spacers. I have not cut them off yet. I will look for the proper 45 bar. The spacers are 0.675" diameter and project 0.650" above the bar.

Thanks Tom, much appreciated. It almost looks like someone added those spacers to those bars though. This is the closest picture I have of what I believe are the OEM version: Close fwd.jpg
    Last edited by Grumpa; 07-28-2018 at 08:49 PM.