Thread: Re: Bulb types for original 1927 Twin headlight

Default Re: Bulb types for original 1927 Twin headlight

I will certainly appreciate being told the type of bulbs i need for each socket for the original '27 Twin headlight. i suspect each bulb is a single element. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 07-03-2018 at 07:12 PM.

My parts books shows PN# 4925-29 for a 2 pin, 2 element bulb (2 reqd.). Of course that part number is pretty much useless today, but I suspect it's the same bulb as you would find in a tail light. You know twin headlights were only used in 1929, and 1930.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Quote Originally Posted by exeric View Post
    My parts books shows PN# 4925-29 for a 2 pin, 2 element bulb (2 reqd.). Of course that part number is pretty much useless today, but I suspect it's the same bulb as you would find in a tail light. You know twin headlights were only used in 1929, and 1930.
    Thanks Eric. Yes, i saw those pn's in my book as well. with the help of a couple members i was able to figure out what bulbs were originally used and sources for the bulbs. the large double contact bulb is an 1134, and the dimmer bulb is a #81. the 1134 is 32 candlepower, and i believe the #81 is 6 candle power. i got some original Tung-Sol 1134's off ebay, and the # 81's are widely available. The # 81, being 6 candlepower, and what came from the factory, and same as the tail light bulb, i cannot imagine being much good for seeing much of anything at night. on Bratton's website i found 50 candle power double contact bulbs, and for single contact i found 32, 21 and 10 candlepower bulbs, which i ordered a couple of each. i thought i would experiment with the different bulbs to see how much current they draw. i do not know how any of these bulbs will perform in contrast to the bulb that came with the Polish repro headlight i currently am running. what i do know running the current head/taillight setup, is the ammeter reads 5 amps when i am riding underway with no lights on, and maybe a half amp with lights on.so, it will be interesting, after i've mounted my original headlight to see what a 32 candlepower bulb actually draws, and then maybe i can go from there in terms of using higher candlepower bulbs fore and aft. Anyway, this is waht i have learned so far, so we shall see what else i can learn as my converting to original lighting evolves.

Steve, These charts have helped me in the past with bulbs. William
    Attached Images Attached Images
    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2018 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 18-19 May 2018
    http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Quote Originally Posted by wideglide38 View Post
    Steve, These charts have helped me in the past with bulbs. William
    William, thank you for those charts, i shall download them into my JD files!