Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Gas Tank Restoration

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Lowell,ma
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Sorry for your bad luck with por 15 but I would use again in a minute. Maybe it’s not meant for glass

  2. #22

    Default

    Hello, this is a topic in a slightly different direction but this thread seems appropriate to ask my question, which is; how does one go about removing an old poorly done tanks seal job and I believe by the looks of it, it is what is branded as "Cream" sealant? Thanks. TL

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Central Illinois, USA
    Posts
    4,339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jcadams View Post
    Sorry for your bad luck with por 15 but I would use again in a minute. Maybe itís not meant for glass
    That's was the manufacturer's response, JCA!

    Still, the glass test proves it is certainly not inert in P4gas.

    Don't dip floats in it, either.

    ....Cotten
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sarasota, Florida
    Posts
    4,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomL View Post
    Hello, this is a topic in a slightly different direction but this thread seems appropriate to ask my question, which is; how does one go about removing an old poorly done tanks seal job and I believe by the looks of it, it is what is branded as "Cream" sealant? Thanks. TL
    TL, I have used paint remover (paste type) with very good success. MEK will also work, but it costs a lot more, evaporates quickly, and will leak out when it eats it's way through a pinhole. Paste type paint remover will cling to the sides, and top of tank and do it's job. When it's done, use MEK to remove residue. Paint remover, MEK, acetone, etc. are all messy, toxic, potentially dangerous affairs, so be careful, and use in a well ventilated place, with gloves, and eye protection. I also re-use old paint remover as it doesn't really go bad.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Lowell,ma
    Posts
    24

    Default

    I used to hear of it failing all the time in the early 80s,then it seemed to go away. Unfortionately I never heard of a remedy.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Central Illinois, USA
    Posts
    4,339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jcadams View Post
    I used to hear of it failing all the time in the early 80s,then it seemed to go away. Unfortionately I never heard of a remedy.
    Ironidally, Folks,..

    Early '80s Kreme worked fine! I still have some in veteran tanks (albeit dry through modern fuel changes of the last decade).
    It even adhered to materials other than bare steel, with proper prep of course..
    Then apparently the sealer's formula changed as well, probably because of regulated toxics, and removal became the issue.

    Such ever changing variables make any sealer a risk.
    The agony of removal far exceeds the benefits, except perhaps for terneplate tanks.

    A soak isn't going to completely remove it.
    You will need a mechanical action as well, such as tumbling with abrasives.

    ....Cotten
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-28-2018 at 11:41 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    Ironidally, Folks,..

    Early '80s Kreme worked fine! I still have some in veteran tanks (albeit dry through modern fuel changes of the last decade).
    It even adhered to materials other than bare steel, with proper prep of course..
    Then apparently the sealer's formula changed as well, probably because of regulated toxics, and removal became the issue.

    Such ever changing variables make any sealer a risk.
    The agony of removal far exceeds the benefits, except perhaps for terneplate tanks.

    A soak isn't going to completely remove it.
    You will need a mechanical action as well, such as tumbling with abrasives.

    ....Cotten
    Of course you have a rig to spin tanks!!!!!

    Everyone talks about wrapping them in blankets and putting them in a clothes dryer, your way obviously is much better, and again, of course YOU made one. Good for Cotten!

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Central Illinois, USA
    Posts
    4,339

    Default

    Well, Architect,...

    First, I burnt up a Red Devil paint shaker trying to slow it with the wrong control, or somethin'.
    Otherwise, the media stayed suspended off the walls in a cloud.

    Then I tried to make a vibratory table out of an old scroll saw that was powered by a big growler-style coil.
    Took too long.

    But so does my paddle wheel design at 1 rps.

    ....Cotten
    PS: The dryer is worth a try if it is disposable. A pair of bobs quarter-full of aquarium gravel might be tricky to balance.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    200

    Default

    Not to hijack this thread but has anyone ever used the fuel tank sealing products made by "Hirsch" ??
    Thanks
    Dan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •