Thread: 68 t100r

Default 68 t100r

I am looking into the possible purchase of a none running but fairly good cosmetically 68 T100 R. I have some questions that I hope the forum can help me with.

Bike doesn't run but does kick over and feels like it has good compression, 12K miles on odo. Anything in particular I need to look for?

Bike has pretty good paint but has a stainless front fender and the seat interferes with the grab handle (right/wrong)?

Going on the info given what would be a reasonable purchase price?

Are ther any good value and appraisal guides out there today?

RRandall

Hagerty has a pretty good valuation guide. Their valuations run from poor to concourse. Speaking for myself a motorcycle that doesn't run and has some incorrect parts would fall somewhere close to poor condition. 12k on the odo is not a lot but who knows if it is original to the bike or not. Who knows what lurks inside a motor with good compression. Plus there is no way of knowing what shape the drive train is in. With all of those unknowns the bike could be a giant money pit. Of course the owner will claim the bike ran great when parked. It probably ran better when new!! Buying a bike that doesn't run is always a crap shoot. Don't let desire overcome good sense.

Always keep in mind that it is only worth what the parts will bring if parted out. At that level it is a fair buy, at least in terms of recovering your investment if it turns out to be unrepairable for reasonable money..
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Quote Originally Posted by rrandall View Post
    I am looking into the possible purchase of a none running but fairly good cosmetically 68 T100 R. I have some questions that I hope the forum can help me with.

Bike doesn't run but does kick over and feels like it has good compression, 12K miles on odo. Anything in particular I need to look for?

Bike has pretty good paint but has a stainless front fender and the seat interferes with the grab handle (right/wrong)?

Going on the info given what would be a reasonable purchase price?

Are ther any good value and appraisal guides out there today?

RRandall
    A '68 Triumph T100R should have engine and frame #s match and range for the engine # between H57083 and H65572.
    Front fender was originally painted silver with aquamarine center stripe lined with gold as for the rear fender. But there were different things for different models and regional differences as well. Some markets had stainless steel fenders. My own '67 T100C was an "Eastern US" version and had aluminum alloy mudguards instead of the stainless steel ones on the "Western US" bikes. 15,000 miles is about time for new valves, guides and 1st oversize for pistons on these engines. A grab handle was not fitted as stock equipment.
    You don't give enough info to suggest a price. Good pictures would be needed to get even a ballpark idea of worth.
    AFJ