Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AMCA Mag Winter 93/Spring 94 Tank Repair Article?

Quote Originally Posted by someozybloke View Post
    It would be good if all the old AMCA Magazines were available in digital format like the Manuals in the Virtual Library. It would be a task to scan them all in. But what a wealth of history and information.
    I recommended that to the gentleman who is responsible for the library and the magazine editor recently. It would be a big benefit to all of us.

Bob Turek

Hey Gents,
    I contacted AMCA Mag Tech Editor Dan Margolien,
    He said he has the the articles and he will scan them when he returns on Sunday. When I receive the file I will post it here for those that search for this in the future.

Dan states, "Chad, i used the process on my 1926 Harley tanks. Very satisfying. The single longest, most complicated part of my resto."

Chad

Good to hear!! Since I have the 2nd half, it would be nice to have the complete article. I don't need it, but there may come a time!
    Jim

AMCA #6520

Would like a copy of the article as well if it could be emailed.

I sent Dan a reminder asking for the articles. I will post them here for download when I get them. I will also email them to anyone.
    I could make a YouTube video if I’m halfway successful since this seems to be a dark art.

Z

Last edited by DanM; 06-13-2018 at 04:50 PM.
    Dan Margolien
    Yankee Chapter National Meet August 3/4 2018 NEW LOCATION at the TERRYVILLE FAIRGROUNDS, Terryville CT http://www.bing.com/local?lid=YN873x...ir&FORM=SNAPST
    Yankeechapter.org
    pocketvalve@gmail.com
    JD enthusiasts: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/harleyjd/

gas tank solder page 6-1.jpggas tank solder page 7-1.jpggas tank solder page 8-1.jpg

Sorry for the upside down images. For some reason when I try to rotate and save, they came out the same.

I used this process on my 1926 Harley tanks and currently on 1913. Patience is a virtue. Also, although it comes at the very end, when pressure testing do not use 10 psi. Just 2 psi. I actually ballooned my tanks and they would not fit the frame and I have to hammer work them back. Get a fan to blow the fumes away, maybe a mask. There is a lot of tinning and soldering involved. A lot of fumes. I would be happy to provide more input if desired.
    Dan Margolien
    Yankee Chapter National Meet August 3/4 2018 NEW LOCATION at the TERRYVILLE FAIRGROUNDS, Terryville CT http://www.bing.com/local?lid=YN873x...ir&FORM=SNAPST
    Yankeechapter.org
    pocketvalve@gmail.com
    JD enthusiasts: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/harleyjd/

Thanks Dan. I will try to get this into a single PDF file when I get my computer near some civilization.

I actually just left Geer’s in Deadwood!

Z

Having attempted a similar repair myself, i too would be interested in this atricle.

A quick google search found a post on the 101 Associations website that states:

"For those aspirants ..........who are brazen enough to attempt their own tank refurbishment ..........there is a comprehensively in depth article, found in the 101 Associations Shop Manual. Found on Page 22A, it was compiled by our esteemed founder and Patriarch, George L. Yarocki. The Late George Yarocki, goes on to describe an in depth process"

I would assume that this is the same materials but it would be interesting iff anyone has this 101 manual and could compare the two.

John

Quote Originally Posted by TechNoir View Post
    Having attempted a similar repair myself, i too would be interested in this atricle
    I would assume that this is the same materials but it would be interesting iff anyone has this 101 manual and could compare the two.
    John, it does indeed appear to be the exact same article with the same pictures!
    Pisten Bulley is Harry Roberts in Vermont.