Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WHERE ARE THEY? - 1916 issues of The Harley-Davidson Enthusiast

I didn't mean to neglect you, Roger. I've been very impressed with the original photos, and postcards you have collected. And shared.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie's grandson View Post
    I want to browse the 1916 issues of The Harley-Davidson Enthusiast. Does anyone know of any issues, reprints, downloads, images or libraries of ANY of the 1916 issues August through December?

The reason is, I want to find out if The Harley-Davidson Enthusiast has a story about my grandfather, Charlie West, who made a 1916 trip from Illinois to Kentucky. The story is covered by two small articles in MotorCycle Illustrated in 1916.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

No mention of it is the August 1916 issue.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

[QUOTE=exeric;171540... a 1916 Enthusiast, ... If anyone has one, it would be great for the hobby to have it scanned, and digitized.[/QUOTE]

Eric,
    Thanks for your post, and I couldn't agree more that it would be good for the hobby if they were digitized and made available. I don't have any originals to scan, but I will add these internet images of 1916 covers to our discussion:

The August 1916 issue. If I remember right, this was on eBay last year. I think the seller was in Australia:

The August 1916 issue again, but an undamaged cover:

(The image above is an enlargement of the one below.)

From the book Everything Harley-Davidson: A Century of Memorabilia by Dregni:

Can be viewed on Google Books at: https://books.google.com/books?id=op...page&q&f=false

The web page says this is issue #1 of The Enthusiast. I don't know if that is true or not. You can see that some old-time collector wrote "No. 1" on it and a date which may read 2/25/16:

The above image is from http://mototype.com/pages/2836/harle...dson_brochures

Can anyone show any other images of 1916 issues?

Jeff
    Last edited by Charlie's grandson; 05-21-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Chris,

Thank you very much for checking the August 1916 issue of The Harley-Davidson Enthusiast to see if it had any mention of my grandfather, Charlie West of Rockford, Illinois.

In the August 1916 issue, is there any indication of what number it is?? Is the August issue the one that introduces the 1917 models? If so, that may explain why it seems to be the most common of the 1916 issues; they may have printed more of them than other issues.

Does anyone know of any 1916 issue that is numbered?? Or for that matter, does anyone know the number of any issue before #21, which is February 1920??

And Chris, thank you for showing the cover of an issue of the Harley-Davidson Bulletin which was a forerunner of The Harley-Davidson Enthusiast. Is there any indication in it of date or number?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    (Charlie West's grandson)

Quote Originally Posted by Rubone View Post
    There is one common reprint available done by Clymer, but it is the only one I am aware of.
    Robbie,

I haven't come across a Clymer reprint. Which early issue or issues did they reprint? Where are they available?

Thanks,
    Jeff

My August 1916 is a Clymer reprint,
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

I got one of the Clymer reprints on eBay a couple of years ago.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    My August 1916 is a Clymer reprint,
    Chris, thanks for the info.
    Last edited by Charlie's grandson; 05-25-2018 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MMasa View Post
    I got one of the Clymer reprints on eBay a couple of years ago.
    Mark
    Was it August 1916, or some other date? I'm wondering which issues have been reprinted.

It would be good if everyone could contribute what they know at least about the dates of pre-1920 issues of The Harley-Davidson Enthusiast. There apparently were nineteen different issues total from 1916 to 1920. Yet only one date of issue turns up online, and that is August 1916, (which may be #1.) What are the other eighteen pre-1920 dates? If we pooled our knowledge, at least we could begin to know what existed.

If you can report any dates of pre-1920 issues of The Harley-Davidson Enthusiast, please try also to see if there is an issue number to go with it and report that as well. It may be that some issues do not give an issue number, and it would be good to report that as well. By 1920, they do show issue numbers.