Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EL FL FLH Head Bolt Wrench

Robbie; My problem was that years ago, St. Louis area Harley dealers would not sell head bolt wrenches or (any tools for that matter) to the public. With slow sales, their shop was where the majority of there income came from. So I had to go elsewhere to get the job done. I only started acquiring factory tools when I first encountered Hemming's Motor News in the early '80's and progressed to swap meets and later, Ebay. Joe Barber was also a great help.
    Cotten; My boring bar, torque plates, and rigid & flex hones all have a thick layer of dust on them. I'm not sure if I'm too lazy, grumpy or what, but I found out that I have a lot less stress these days sending my bore & hone jobs out to a very qualified shop. Also, I'm aware of our friends that tighten too much and bend the flanges of the manifolds. I will still use torque wrenches on pumps, flywheel shafts & crank pins and cam covers. That's my story and I'm sticking with it! Seriously guys, Thanks for all the replies!!
    Craig

Folks,

If you have to re-torque machines often, such as an active shop, you need to do it fast, too.

The front cylinder base nut behind the timer on OHVs is 'difficult' for any commercial extention, without expensive disassembly and reassembly time.

You will want to make wrenches that are not so "collectible".

....Cotten
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-09-2018 at 10:47 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Hey guys..u all have a wealth of experience beyond mine ...where can I buy a good 47 FL head bolt wrench and would want the final tightening with a toque wrench if possible.
    Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Witham View Post
    Hey guys..u all have a wealth of experience beyond mine ...where can I buy a good 47 FL head bolt wrench and would want the final tightening with a toque wrench if possible.
    Bobby
    Nearly all of the tools you've seen here are, in my estimation, the best you could ask for. I did heads on my bike (same year and model as yours) in the frame and think I just used a torque adapter and my torque wrench, and a curvy double-ender at 90.

If all else fails, torch a dollar-store wrench and make it fit! (I just did that on the base nut on a ULH; it was snug in there!)

Quote Originally Posted by govmule84 View Post
    Nearly all of the tools you've seen here are, in my estimation, the best you could ask for. I did heads on my bike (same year and model as yours) in the frame and think I just used a torque adapter and my torque wrench, and a curvy double-ender at 90.

If all else fails, torch a dollar-store wrench and make it fit! (I just did that on the base nut on a ULH; it was snug in there!)
    Hey =govmule84;1833626,

Sorry still getting used to the site ...which tools are you refering to??
    Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Witham View Post
    Hey =govmule84;1833626,

Sorry still getting used to the site ...which tools are you refering to??
    Bobby
    All of the tools pictured and discussed in this thread you posted on, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by govmule84 View Post
    All of the tools pictured and discussed in this thread you posted on, sir.
    Hey, sorry fo being lame I finally found these beauties...they are available at Home Depot haha..well if you get a torch also!

Snap-On used to make a small enough box-end with a 3/8" square on the opposite end that would fit on a torque wrench for tightening head and base bolts. here's a pic of the 2 of them. I had to belt-sand some stock off the end of the 5/8" one to tighten the base bots on a '38 13 fin cylinder. Other than that, and the fact that on some of the head bolts you have to 'flip' the torque wrench and turn counter-clockwise, these have worked well for me.

Attachment 25660

Quote Originally Posted by Omarttentmaker View Post
    Snap-On used to make a small enough box-end with a 3/8" square on the opposite end that would fit on a torque wrench for tightening head and base bolts. here's a pic of the 2 of them. I had to belt-sand some stock off the end of the 5/8" one to tighten the base bots on a '38 13 fin cylinder. Other than that, and the fact that on some of the head bolts you have to 'flip' the torque wrench and turn counter-clockwise, these have worked well for me.

Attachment 25660
    You can buy these as a set of about 8 wrenches of different sizes.
    These can also be used with a short length of hex key to torque socket head bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by aumick10 View Post
    You can buy these as a set of about 8 wrenches of different sizes.
    These can also be used with a short length of hex key to torque socket head bolts.
    Omarttentmaker,
    Thanks..having spent many hours wishing & drooling in SnapOn trucks when the stuff was made in the USA I seem to remember seeing these.
    The pics will help locate them somewhere.