Thread: Sidecar Tire Rack

Default Sidecar Tire Rack

Hi, appreciate if anyone could help identify a sidecar tire rack that I recently picked up, looks very similar to ones fitted to early j Harleys. The outside dia. of the rack rim is 21" which seemed too small for a 28" tire but too large for a 26" tire,
    wasn't sure if the spare tire fitted like a normal beaded edge tire to the rim rack or the tire tube kept it in place. I am presuming it is for a Harley, as the back colour looks like olive drab.
    Appreciate any help
    Regards
    Mick

In the teens, 20's, and 30's Harley made different size tire racks for various models and tire sizes including L, LT, QL, QT, and LS models.

In 1925, Harley changed to a smaller wheel. We'd call it 20" as it takes a 3.85 x 20 clincher tire. In old terms it was called a 27 x 3.5 tire. The rack on the back of my 26 Harley LT sidecar measures 21" across the outer edge of the clincher rim. The tire fits on as a clincher, just like it does on the wheels. Maybe that's what you've got.

Thanks for that, your explanation sounds pretty Good, appreciate your input. One thing i love about these old bikes, one small part, can lead to so much information that i previously knew nothing about. ( i see that there is a 1925 front wheel currently on ebay, the tire is a 3.85 - 20)
    Again, thanks for your help.
    Mick