Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil pumps, sumping, burnishing/reseating ball seat

Ric!

I re-sized your pic, and added one of mine.

....Cotten
    PS: Yes, manifold and float services are all I can offer at this time, as the Schebler Wars are still getting the better of me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Its been awhile. Still frustrated by sumping. Got it down to about a quarter cup a nite but knowing the bottom end is full makes the oil loss about 1/2 to 3/4 cup or slightly more over a 24 hour period. Sent the pump out to have a new seat cut, leaks worse. Tom Cotton, was thinking could a threaded peek rod be cut and threaded and have a seat cut into the peek material? Then using a security screwdriver bit (have small holes drilled to fit the security screw drive bit, screw a peek seat into the opening, then assemble with spring and ball sizing the spring for correct finish to fit the seat correctly? Couple better detailed close up images of the seat after diamond rouge polishing, looks good but still leaks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ricmoran; 06-15-2018 at 07:04 PM.

Anything is possible, Ric!

But sealing around an insert is another issue. Cast iron, brass, or steel would accept goobers, whereas next to nothing sticks to PEEK.

I can send you some PEEK if you like, but I think its a lot of grief compared to a simple flat-grind.

Apparently you sent it so someone who just performed a blind "poke and hope", and didn't bother to do the simple bubble-test?

....Cotten
    PS: Folks,
    Sometimes I had phenomenal success, and sometimes nothing helped.
    One costly effort was a total '49 I completed, which just wouldn't stop sumping, no matter what.

Finally, with the pump and cam cover removed in the chassis (which makes re-sealing even fresh gaskets a real pain..), I found with compressed air where somebody had a "better idea" to drill out a gallery in the case to bypass the ball check.

No doubt it was an EasyRiders tip.

PPS: Anybody remember the funny balls with tails for '53?
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-16-2018 at 10:03 AM.
    AMCA #776

I asked about testing and had not gotten a call back from the people who did the work. Thought about flat grinding but concern is the depth of the cut the pump now has. Oversize ball bearing, to the next size up, has proved to be impossible to find. So, it seems the next logical thing to do isbbq start buying oil.pumps, try them, the one that leaks the least is the winner. I do know of a product from a company, Belzona, who has a coating that could be applied, then worked down with a fine rouge to smooth out the finish. Here is a link:
    https://www.belzona.com/en/products/1000/1111.aspx
    Thanks for reply Tom. More thought on how to make a screw in seat has to be thought about. Thank you for your kind offer Tom, will advise as I discover more info on how that could be done.

Ric!

Calm down.

They will all leak if you test them.

The immediate remedy ain't rocket surgery.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-16-2018 at 04:57 PM.
    AMCA #776