Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanted Indian 4 (1920s-1930s vintage)

Howdy chaps,

That would be this one, many hours spent pouring over the superb pics.

Equally good in a different way because this gentlemanís father had such a lengthy history with the factory and thus access to rare photos and memorabilia......and also because that is my machine wrapping around the cover both sides is Butch Baerís. He, still alive in his 90ís, we all attended his birthday party at Doc Batsleerís this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Miller View Post
    Sir,

Do you of anyone who sells an"Indian-4" manual (similar to Chiltons for cars)? I'm looking for basic mechanical/electrical/timing brochures beyond what can dig up on the internet. Also, who do you recommend for engine and transmission rebuilding/advice?
    Jason,
    Have you been to the AMCA virtual library? You can down load free copies of the 1938-42 Indian Four Cylinder overhaul manual, plus a lot of other great owner manuals and Indian Sales brochures. Save your money for the bike, just download the material on line.
    Damon

Thank you, sir! I'll make sure to get a copy!

Still searching for the "Indian-4 Unicorn," but need to get smarter on her history/mechanicals before I find her.....

Very Respectfully,

Jason Miller

I'd 2nd what Exeric said: find something British from the 60's, perhaps even a wrecking yard (which is what I did with my first bike project). You and your son can then disassemble, photograph, disassemble some more, clean, learn & then start the process of inventorying all the parts you'll need to repair, renovate or chase down. The 50's and 60's parts are readily available and you can then decide if you want a true restoration - or to create a running hybrid - without the pressure of tinkering with a potentially expensive restoration. And you'll have saved a little bit of history from yet another decade of sitting outside in the junkyard. And it will be fun - with virtually zero pressure to make it perfect.Junkyard-TR-25.jpgGoPro-TR25-BSA-441.jpg

PS: I've also done it the harder way - mechanically & faithfully updating a 'largely original', 1948 Triumph Speed Twin. A different kettle of fi$h.48-Triumph-LoRes-Fla.jpg
    Last edited by sprangerny; 04-09-2018 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Footnote

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Miller View Post
    )but do not want to spend an arm and a leg on her. I don't mind if she looks rough around the edges. My intent is to use the Indian-4 as a project for my son and I to drive, work on and enjoy daily.
    Jason, I think many here (or most here) have more than one motorcycle, and any Indian guy would jump at the chance to own a Four for less than an "arm and a leg", or more than an arm and a leg. SO....there are many more Indians out there that you can make a project out of .... and they'll still cost you an arm and a leg, but you'll be into it while your son is still at home and willing to be a part of the project....they grow up fast! Find a post war Chief and make that your project while you search for the holy grail. Unless your son was just born last week, you might miss the chance while you wait!
    Pisten Bulley is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Anyone have information on the 1929 Indian 4 that Mr. Al Engle is selling in the March/April issue of "The Antique Motorcycle?" Although she's a pretty face, my worry is her mechanical/electrical condition.....

Also shown here: http://www.classicmotorcycleconsignm...29-indian-four

Electrical is not much of an issue as magnetos either work, or need to be rebuilt. The generator is an Autolite, and they are easy to make right. So, the electrical is probably fine, and not an issue. Over-all, the bike looks well done and that is usually a good sign, but for that kind of money, a buyer should do an in-person appraisal. I would want assurance that the motor was well done, by someone that stands behind their work. In defense of motor builders, they don't know how someone is going to treat their work, and only Superman could tell you if there was an imminent problem lurking inside the motor. Curious though, this bike is not a Dad/Son project as it looks pretty well done. I'm thinking this is more a Dad project
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

For that price...she's definitely just a DAD project....Well outside of my price range, too...especially if the mechanical work wasn't done correctly.....Thank you for the reminders, though, sir.

Sprangerny, you did beautiful work on those bikes. I've spent my time on vintage American bikes, but I now find myself interested in British, and Japanese bikes from the '60s. I admire your tenacity in bringing those bikes back to life.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Eric: I can't take the credit for the preservation of this 5T. It came from the Raber's auction, in San Jose, as a 'mostly original' bike. Everyone seems to appreciate that it's not been 'restored'. That said . . . I changed the gearing, new chains, all new wheel bearings, complete fork rebuild, new tires, etc. etc. And have ridden it almost 1,000 miles in the past 6 months. These should be ridden - and cared for. Now, of course, I'd like to get something pre-1928 that would qualify for the 2019 Cannonball!5T-1948.jpg