Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 47 knucklehead, new built engine with zero compression

Ric, It is possible that the pinion shaft was changed to the '55-'57 type in which case it could use the '54 up gears as shared with later Pans and Shovels. If it has splines it is early (as Jerry describes above), if it on a taper and held with a nut it is late. Either can be used with the appropriate matching parts. In any case all the timing marks are common to all OHV models as far as lining them up goes.
    Last edited by Rubone; 02-08-2018 at 12:41 PM.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

[QUOTE=Rubone;169405]Ric, It is possible that the pinion shaft was changed to the '55-'57 type in which case it could use the '54 up gears as shared with later Pans and Shovels. If it has splines it is early (as Jerry describes above), if it on a taper and held with a nut it is late. Either can be used with the appropriate matching parts. In any case all the timing marks are common to all OHV models as far as lining them up goes.[/QUOTE/]

The shaft is splined. Images of the pinion shaft gear taken on the shaft vs oem with the oil pump drive gear and pinion shafte gear imaged. Looking closely at the timing marks are a wide deep V on the installed gear, deeper than the oem marks seen on the oem gear. Can see where 1 oem mark faintly remains as the face looks as if it were ground and timing marks removed. Comparing the wide spline, the installed gear shows the timing gear mark 5 teeth away from where it is on the oem gear. When I saw that all I could think of is, why?

Thank you for taking time to write your replies.

Am going to source a correct pinion gear if I do not have one in my spare parts mix. Will advise results.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ricmoran; 02-08-2018 at 02:03 PM.

Put it all back together, hard starting & ran rough but was able to start the bike 3 times. Now its a matter of a couple oil leak resolutions, getting the correct timing and carb adjustments, letting the engine run up to operating temperature, shut down cool and tighten cylinder and head assembly. Thanks again for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by ricmoran View Post
    Playing detective and some help from Lee at Knucklehead theology, he recommended inspecting pinion shaft for slipping by lining the crankpin into the timing hole via both pistons being at the top of their travel & not tdc.

Everything checks out as Lee advised, large pinion shaft spline is at the 6 o'clock position. Robbie did the diesel routine and and have compression in the front cylinder with the pushrods adjusted with a lot of slop. 60 psi front, zero with the rear cylinder.

Am in thought that head's valve & rocker arm assembly may be playing into this but how is thus far not known.
    I had to swap out my shafts and rockers, i had early ones in my 47 , they was moving and getting hung open by the covers.
    drove me nuts
    Member # 29257

I pulled 3 of the 4 rocker covers but did not see any evidence if rocker arms hitting the covers. Since this was a total basket case of a lot of mismatched parts I did have concern of that. 1st set of original rocker arms bought where the arm works on the valve stem were ground down too far to work, 2nd set, no issues, thankfully. Attachment is of bike near completion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ricmoran; 03-07-2018 at 11:17 AM.