Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 58 XL Sportster points gap? (Magneto)

Quote Originally Posted by VPH-D View Post
    ... who would buy a low compression racing bike?
    VPH-D
    With all due respect, VPH-D,

Ya gotta define the "race".
    A very long enduro under hot conditions would seem to beg for lower compression?

More is not aways more better.

....Cotten
    PS: Honestly, I've got few recollections about Sportsters.
    But their owners left a mark.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

This bike is definitely not "original", different tank & fenders as well as the magneto, having a hell of a time getting it running again. What advantage-if any-would be gained by adding the mag?
    Rich

What advantage-if any-would be gained by adding the mag?
    Basically none. The only advantage would be loss of the battery/generator/regulator for a race bike. For the street it is merely the battery. But then you could gain finicky starting and the infamous "Sportster knee" for a bit of street cred!
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Thanks Robbie! I'm working on this one for a friend & my kicker leg has just about had it, nothing like my 1-maybe 2 kick VL!
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by VPH-D View Post
    The XLC has always been interesting to me, as in who would buy a low compression racing bike?
    VPH-D
    They weren't "race bikes" anymore than a modern dirt bike is a race bike. They were made for off-raod riding, local scrambles, etc. If you wanted a race bike you would have probably bought a KR or XLR.

Default Magneto Ignition

Quote Originally Posted by Rubone View Post
    Basically none. The only advantage would be loss of the battery/generator/regulator for a race bike. For the street it is merely the battery. But then you could gain finicky starting and the infamous "Sportster knee" for a bit of street cred!
    I believe that the magneto was incorporated into the 58XLCH (off road only) as it weighed less than the battery and generator. Some folks claim that HD offered a battery powered lighting kit, but that so far is purely speculation. As to the 58XLC, in my half century of chasing these bikes I have never seen or heard of a actual XLC being manufactured. The 58 XLCH's seem to surface often (all relative) but a large number of the ones I have seen are fake re stamps. Buyer beware. As to the finicky knee, I am of the opinion that a correctly set up magneto is no more troublesome than a battery ignition. I did see a magneto bike equipped with a Morris magneto rare earth rotor and all you had to do was literally stare at the kick lever and it started. A worthwhile investment.

The "finicky starting and Sportster knee comments" are from a lifetime of seeing poorly set-up magnetos on a variety of applications. Working in custom shops and dealerships as a young man observing that most owners did not have a clue about the correct adjustment or cleanliness needed for a magneto to function, along with worn kicker gears, the possibilities for hard starting and pain inflicting were very real.
    And I have magnetos on several different bikes of my own in case you are wondering.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Quote Originally Posted by frichie68 View Post
    Thanks Robbie! I'm working on this one for a friend & my kicker leg has just about had it, nothing like my 1-maybe 2 kick VL!
    http://www.doczintl.biz/docz_interna..._solo_pro.html

http://www.solodynasystems.biz/solo_..._starter_.html
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/