Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guide 68 tailight

Default Guide 68 tailight

Pulled out my tailight stock for a 1969 FLH Iím restoring and I noticed a couple were Guide 55 and one was a guide 68 with the only external difference being the identifying stamping. Is the Guide 68 the correct one to use?

I believe the stamping on the body should have the 68 number on it, but the red lens for that year and later is tall, whereas the earlier red lens is flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Omarttentmaker View Post
    I believe the stamping on the body should have the 68 number on it, but the red lens for that year and later is tall, whereas the earlier red lens is flat.
    So the tailight body stamped Guide 68 is correct for a 1969?

Quote Originally Posted by otis71 View Post
    So the tailight body stamped Guide 68 is correct for a 1969?
    Yes it is correct. If you put them beside each other looking at the rear of them you will see a difference in them.

The bulb holder varies between the two lamps. Either one will bolt to the fender, but you want the one stamped 68.
    VPH-D

The Guide 68 is the correct shell for your 1969. I believe 1969 was the first year it was used.

As stated above, the taillight socket mounts differently inside the shell. You should also have the "projection" clear outlook lens that extends above the shell, and the red tail light lens that sticks out beyond the shell in the back to make room for the bulb in it's new mounting position.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportster Jerry View Post
    The Guide 68 is the correct shell for your 1969. I believe 1969 was the first year it was used.

As stated above, the taillight socket mounts differently inside the shell. You should also have the "projection" clear outlook lens that extends above the shell, and the red tail light lens that sticks out beyond the shell in the back to make room for the bulb in it's new mounting position.
    Good additional points to mention. Thanks.
    Bob Rice #6738
    He that conquereth his own soul is greater than he who taketh a city.

Federal law was changed and required that brake and tail lights be visible from the side so the -68 tail light has lenses that protrude slightly from the housing.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
    Federal law was changed and required that brake and tail lights be visible from the side so the -68 tail light has lenses that protrude slightly from the housing.

Jerry
    The red tail light lens is actually a -69 part (68090-69). The parts manual shows the entire assembly (including the Guide 68 shell) to be a 1969 model year change, and I believe this to be true. I have a very late production original paint 1968 XLCH and it still has the Guide 55 tail light assembly. As Jerry W. mentioned above, it was all part of the 1969 federal law change that required the side reflectors to be added as well.

My 69 has the -55 light. I don't believe the updated part was used throughout the model year.
    It would be nice to hear from the owners of original paint machines
    Ralph