Thread: Did this picture appear as an original advertisement?

Default Did this picture appear as an original advertisement?

i am wondering if this picture appeared as or in an original advertisement ? I enjoy literature as much as the motorcycle and always try when possible to collect literature to go with the bike. appears this picture is '27 specific.

Shifting into Popularity.jpg

Beautiful artwork, and the girl is a great touch, but it just doesn't look like the kind of advertising art H-D would have done in the '20s. I think H-Ds ad budget went to sporting magazines, Popular Mechanics, and point of contact brochures at dealers. Robbie will probably tune in as he has an extensive literature collection. It just looks too out of character for a company that was as stodgy as H-D was in the '20s, but it could have been just what they needed
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Really nice artwork!
    Pisten Bulley is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Quote Originally Posted by exeric View Post
    Beautiful artwork, and the girl is a great touch, but it just doesn't look like the kind of advertising art H-D would have done in the '20s. I think H-Ds ad budget went to sporting magazines, Popular Mechanics, and point of contact brochures at dealers. Robbie will probably tune in as he has an extensive literature collection. It just looks too out of character for a company that was as stodgy as H-D was in the '20s, but it could have been just what they needed
    the girl is pretty much everywhere, i bought a coffee mug because it's a '27 and may break down and buy the poster, but they're more than i want to pay for something not original. Eric, your point is well taken and makes logical sense, given the times and with whom the factory was advertising with and to. Yes, if Robbie sees this, would be nice to hear from him.

I've got an original 1927 HD Dealers window transfer that advertises the 1927 350cc sv single.
    The photo I've posted doesn't really do it justice but it's framed and behind toughened glass and this isn't conducive to good photographs.
    Compare the two and make your mind up as to whether or not the one Steve posted is period correct or not, mine certainly is.
    If you look closely at my one you'll see that everyone except the rider are dressed in Dutch style clothing and we wonder if this transfer was intended for the Dutch market and how or why did it surface in NZ.
    I found it about 50 years ago between pages of a book in a local motorcycle dealers stash of motorcycle literature. If you want it take it was his response.
    Anybody's thoughts would be appreciated.
    Steve if you think my questions are crashing your post let me know and I'll delete it to somewhere else on here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Oh gosh no, Tommo! i love every one of your posts, i always learn more !
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 12-29-2017 at 10:39 PM.

Peter makes a good point. I have seen advertising literature from other countries and it is always quite different in style, and theme from American factory literature.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886