Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1917 Powerplus in Olive, Restoration

Wow Eric, I have a pretty extensive collection of early Indian literature but this is the first time I am seeing this, too cool, thanks for posting. Please post additional information if you have!
    Merry Christmas!
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by slamiste View Post
    Hi Todd,

Here's a few pictures of my 1917 PowerPlus at Wauseon this year, and one from Wauseon in about 2010.

I don't believe there's any original paint on it, if fact, in a few more years I don't think there'll be any paint on it at all. I don't have any extra parts but if you need additional pictures showing close up details I should be able to send them to you.

Good luck on your project.

Steve SlaminkoAttachment 21360Attachment 21361Attachment 21362Attachment 21363
    Wow. That's a nice one!

Kevin

Hi Steve,
    Very nice bike, love the electric equipment ! I am going to equip my project bike similarly, is the tail lamp an am ?
    Merry Christmas!
    Todd

There is a replica WW1 Air Drome in Kingsbury, Texas that restores WW1 era aircraft. They have a museum on the grounds (some of their hangars were actual hangers removed from several of the air bases in San Antonio many years ago). Among their collection of WW1 artifacts, they have a 1917 Powerplus with sidecar in olive drab with some military equipment. It was restored by Bill Wiseman about 20 years ago. As I remember, the facility is owned by a retired air line pilot. I believe his name is Roger Freeman. This outfit would make a good template for you if you can get someone there to forward close up pictures to you. Good luck.
    Sam

Merry Christmas Todd,

Here's some close up pictures of the electronics. This is a Splitdorf system. I don't know if it was equipped from the factory or was added on later. The pictures aren't the best due to the bikes location in a rather dark basement. The 1st picture shows the wiring diagram. Subsequent pictures are of the headlight (with built in horn), the fuse box (mounted on top the battery box), The amp meter mounted on the tanks, one of two handlebar switches (one for the horn and the other called the "starting switch" is engaged during starting).

Sadly, the mag-dynamo failed about 20 years ago so at present none of the electronic work as intended since I'm now running a simple mag. That I'll attached some pictures of the original unit in another reply (file is too big)021.jpg008.jpg002.jpg001.jpg016.jpg.

Steve Slaminko

Hi again,

Here's pictures of the handlebar switch, battery box and mag-dyno.

Steve Slaminko011.jpg022.jpg017.jpg018.jpg

Again, nice set up! Thanks posting Steve, if you ever happen across a similar set up, please let me know, especially the headlight with the horn.
    Todd

Hi, Todd!
    My bike is nowhere near as complete as Steve's. He's got a very nice example. Here are some pictures of the headlight.
    b 023.jpg b 030.jpg 014.jpg 223.jpg

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images

My fuse holder is intact and one of the handlebar switches is in the toolbox.
    b 015.jpg 006 - Copy.jpg

I don't have a taillight or ammeter and the mag is wrong. I notice there are some differences between the headlight on mine and the headlight on Steve's.

Merry Christmas, everyone!
    Dale

Hi Todd,

I don't have any information on the tail light. It was on the bike when I purchased it years ago. There are no marking on it I can see but I've been told by numerous people that it's not 1917 Indian.