Thread: Fresh Find early single, Mystery Serial Number?

Default Fresh Find early single, Mystery Serial Number?

Recently I came across what appears to be an early 4hp single completely dismantled. The seller insists it's a 1911 model year, but the serial number doesn't jive. Instead of a number/letter sequence on the raised stamping area, it is stamped C.F.P.8.14.14 . Above the raised area there is an additional three digit number.

Some people have speculated it possibly could have been a municipal or military bike. The serial number appears to be original and unmolested.

Any guesses to what this number means, or what year this bike actually is?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting but it doesn't follow any factory numbering that I am familiar with. Did you buy the project? It would be intersting to see if there are any other clues to a possible military or law enforcement use.
    Mike Carver
    AMCA #3349

Most likely a blank replacement case that was stamped on 08/14/1914.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

I'm thinking like Chris. Looks like a date.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

I haven't purchased the bike yet. I know opportunities to acquire a bike like this don't come along too often, but I wanted to do my due diligence to figure out the number, and why it doesn't break down like a normal Indian serial number.

Also, I am frightened if I restore this bike, the AMCA would not allow it to be judged with an unresolved serial or unknown history.

here in Oz we have engine numbers that were stamped for police use on Indian Chiefs and WLA s, i have seen numbers on bikes for each state here ,i do not see a problem with what you are looking at,Rob