Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panhead Tires

Default Panhead Tires

Any thoughts or suggestions out there about what kind of tires to run on a 56 pan.

I run the Shinko copy of Goodyear's from J&P. They are half the price of Coker's and are speed rated. Haven't had any issues. I run the Avon's on my knuckles.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA #12766

MK3 Avons. Solid old look tire with none of the issues of Coker which I would not run on my wheel barrel. Only negative from me is less mileage than
    some late model tires.

i was docked 2 points for having beck type tires on my 55FL last year, so I also need to know what tires should be on my bike.

Pretty sure that they will get you for something!

Watch out for any tires with a "classic" tread pattern ... my 65 runs fine on asphalt, but we have a lot of grooved cement pavement where I live, and that "classic" tread pattern wants to follow the grooves in the cement, which causes *severe* front end shaking and wandering ... can't wait to get rid of those tires and put on something with a modern tread pattern and stash the "classics" away for use only if I ever want to show it for judging
    Ride it like you can fix it!

MK3 Avons are horrible on grooved concrete. If there is none of that where you ride, they are a good choice.

i have run coker on my 62 for several years now with no issues. all roads from interstate to the dragons tail. would buy them again.

The Avon Safety Mileage tires work well except on rain grooves. The Continental 112 is another choice, and is a little better on rain grooves.
    VPH-D

Quote Originally Posted by HENNIGAN62 View Post
    i have run coker on my 62 for several years now with no issues. all roads from interstate to the dragons tail. would buy them again.
    I've also run Cokers on both my panheads, and a '40 Chief with no problems at all. However, they are a soft compound and wear quickly, particularly when I ran a sidecar. I thought they were good in the rain, which we get a lot of here in Florida. Having said all that, my next pair of tires will probably be Shinkos for my '51FL because I like the look, and friends have recommended them. We have 2 draw bridges here in Sarasota and every motorcycle tire has been squirrely on those steel grates, including a Sportster with Continentals.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886