Thread: Spoke tightening

Default Spoke tightening

I used to race motocross when I was young .After each moto , I would tighten or check tightness of every bolt on my bike including spokes . To tighten the spokes , I would get on the right hand side of the bike and turn the spoke wrench counter clock wise to tighten the spokes . I want to check the spokes on my 1934 banded brake rear wheel and a set of 16"WL wheels also . Should I apply a couple of applications of PB blaster for a couple of weeks and then check tightness . Any response or tips would be appreciated
    Thanks

You probably have more experience with spokes than most people so you no doubt have a good feel for spoke tension. I re-use old spokes and nipples because they are irreplaceable for early motorcycles, and are unique to periods of time, so you have to save them if you can. I can usually tell if a nipple is badly locked up, so I'll use all kinds of penetrating oils, heat, and whatever. I have to believe that oiling the spokes, and nipple is a good thing to do (although I never think of doing it). When you think about caustic cleaners that get in there when you wash a bike, it's amazing that spokes don't break after a couple of years.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

I would spray not only the area where the spoke threads into the nipple but also where the nipple goes into the rim. That may leave the nipple rotate against the rim with less friction.
    Jim D

Thanks for replies / advise guys
    S-pup/ Jim

Quote Originally Posted by shermanpup View Post
    I used to race motocross when I was young .After each moto , I would tighten or check tightness of every bolt on my bike including spokes . To tighten the spokes , I would get on the right hand side of the bike and turn the spoke wrench counter clock wise to tighten the spokes . I want to check the spokes on my 1934 banded brake rear wheel and a set of 16"WL wheels also . Should I apply a couple of applications of PB blaster for a couple of weeks and then check tightness . Any response or tips would be appreciated
    Thanks
    My own way of checking spokes for correct tension is to simply tap each spoke with a screwdriver to see if they give a ringing sound. A loose spoke will only give a dull clack noise. A very slight tightening should give a ring like the other spokes This assumes the rim offset and radial run out are OK and no wobble is present. Any substantial tightening of a spoke means that it is going to protrude a bit more in towards the tube and it might be well to check that it does not puncture the rim tape or tube. Also tightening on one side may require loosening on the opposite side of the rim to get the same ring on all spokes.
    AFJ