Thread: Gold Star ID

Default Gold Star ID

Picked up BSA Gold Star recently. I have a copy of the BSA buyers guide, but I can't find the frame number listed any where.
    Engine Number: DBD 34 GS 276*
    Frame Number: YD 1344*
    Any help identifying this bike would be appreciated.

I cant help I am afraid but BoschZEV is a Gold Star expert and frequents this forum so be patient and I am sure he will be along soon.

John

Quote Originally Posted by hawghd1 View Post
    Picked up BSA Gold Star recently. I have a copy of the BSA buyers guide, but I can't find the frame number listed any where.
    Engine Number: DBD 34 GS 276*
    Frame Number: YD 1344*
    Any help identifying this bike would be appreciated.
    are you sure your frame is "YD" ? attached is registration from my 1960 DBD34GS 4796, frame number CB32 8989. i used to be a hard core Gold Star owner/enthusiast in my earlier life and if my memory still works the way it always has, all frames on 350 cc and 500 cc models were stamped with the CB32 prefix. (fwiw, engines stamped DBD34 are 500 cc, DBD32 are the 350 cc engines) if you click 3 times on this picture of my owner registration, you can see the frame number and B34 engine designation, it will be full size.

gs 001.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 12-02-2017 at 07:39 PM.

YD is the prefix for a Bantam frame.
    DBD34-2XXX is a '56 model with the "new" head. As in "big fin".
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Yes, I agree it probably should start with the CB32 prefix. Thanks

I dug a little deeper and came to the same conclusion. It looks like I have a parts bike.

As someone already wrote, DBD34GS276* is from the first year of the DBD. However, it wasn't the first year of the big fin head since that honor goes to the previous CB model. There were some odd frames produced in small numbers (e.g. rigid dirt track frames), which are very interesting, but the most common were the swinging arm CB32. A frame appropriate for this engine number would be in the CB32.5000 series. Since you suspect it's a parts bike it's also worth noting that Catalina Gold Star frames have an extra 'C' in the number, i.e. CB32Cxxxx.