Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indian PowerPlus Compression Ratio

Quote Originally Posted by Shaky Jake View Post
    In addition to the above considerations, I feel like it would also be advisable to not allow the top of the piston to extend above the top of the cylinder bore, when using a flat top piston. In the PowerPlus cylinder, the bore is shorter on the valve side than on the opposite side. This will limit how close the piston can come to the top of the combustion chamber.

Kevin

Hi Kevin, I would have though it was important to ensure that the top of the top ring stays below the top of the valve side of the bore. Why should the top of the piston stay below i too?

John

Quote Originally Posted by TechNoir View Post
    Hi Kevin, I would have though it was important to ensure that the top of the top ring stays below the top of the valve side of the bore. Why should the top of the piston stay below i too?

John
    During combustion in a side valve engine there is a flow of gases from the valve pocket to the cylinder. If a flat top piston extends above the top of the cylinder, I would be concerned about the affects of side loads on the piston that may result from that flow.

Kevin

OK thanks Kevin, that makes sense. It would be interesting to know what sort of loading that would put on a piston although I doubt anyone has the answer.

John

Quote Originally Posted by TechNoir View Post
    OK thanks Kevin, that makes sense. It would be interesting to know what sort of loading that would put on a piston although I doubt anyone has the answer.

John
    It's one of those things; you never know until you try, and then it's too late.

Kevin

Kevin
    On the later Indian Chief “74” standard motors, the pistons stop below the top of the cylinders. On the “74” Bonneville motors, the pistons stop even with the top of the cylinders, as the pistons are different. On the “80” motors, the pistons stop above the top of the cylinders, as the motor is stoked, using the standard pistons.
    Burgie

Quote Originally Posted by Spacke2speed View Post
    Kevin
    On the later Indian Chief “74” standard motors, the pistons stop below the top of the cylinders. On the “74” Bonneville motors, the pistons stop even with the top of the cylinders, as the pistons are different. On the “80” motors, the pistons stop above the top of the cylinders, as the motor is stoked, using the standard pistons.
    Burgie

Thanks Burgie. You have seen it all, man!

Kevin

I would say standard 74 chief pistons ,at least 34-53 , come to top of cylinder,80and Bonneville pop up,both requiring a relieved head.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tfburke3 View Post
    I would say standard 74 chief pistons ,at least 34-53 , come to top of cylinder,80and Bonneville pop up,both requiring a relieved head.
    Tom
    Are they domed, or flat?

Kevin

All flat.
    Tom