Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PIERCE 4 engine timing ??

Default PIERCE 4 engine timing ??

Hello, Can anyone help me to time a 1911 PIERCE 4 . i only have timing marks on cams and crank . not intermediate gear How would i set up correctly and also set the magneto .thankyou mike.

Quote Originally Posted by motorheadmike View Post
    Hello, Can anyone help me to time a 1911 PIERCE 4 . i only have timing marks on cams and crank . not intermediate gear How would i set up correctly and also set the magneto .thankyou mike.
    I am not familiar with your machine,but since you have 0 replies ,this is how I would try to time with no marks,assuming you can locate tdc on the cylinder your timing.
    Since most of these motors have the valve overlap centered on tdc locate tdc and install cams so exhaust is just closing as intake opens centered on tdc.Rotate crank slightly less than 360,not sure how much advance you require,then set mag to points just breaking in full advance position.
    Probably stuff you are already aware of and possibly wrong but maybe some useful info will come from a discussion.
    Have fun,
    Tom

Sequence question: Is 1-3-4-2 most common, or 1-2-4-3 ?? Or is there another crank layout of the 4 throw lobes?

Quote Originally Posted by motorheadmike View Post
    Private message sent
    AFJ

The method tburke3 describes only works on symmetrical timed cams.

The method tburke3 describes only works on symmetrical timed cams.
    Agreed, doesn't work on most Brit twins and many others.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Hello motorheadmike , Have you managed to get her running yet ?? I've just put together a 1909 but with 1912 engine and am having difficulties strarting (yes I know i need a new pair of legs BUT should be easy as a four??) Any help or pointers will be most appreciated . Best wishes , Ken
    Sequence is 1 3 4 2 . That's the way my valves operate .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 04-06-2018 at 12:44 PM. Reason: addition
    Ken

Starting easily now and running nice , still needs a little fettling etc , see on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfE6...ature=youtu.be
    Ken

What was the main problem, Ken? My biggest problems on Hendersons have been 'ME'; but also, numerous places for air leaks, weak magnetos, and worn out carburetors. Otherwise, 4s are a piece of pie
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Ha Ha , same problem , ME !! The problem I found was the exhaust camshaft did not return properly and left the valves whisper thin open but enough to stop the motor starting , anyway all sorted now and starts easily and runs quite nice . Love fours ! Thanks for your interest , Ken
    Ken