Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Triumph PreUnit oil line supply -to- gauge?

Here's a photo of the existing return branch, where I can likely install a 'Y', to then feed the gauge - via a separate hard line up to the tank gauge.OilPressLIne.jpg

And here's where the rocker lines are currently run.IMG_20171117_104150186.jpg

Here is a close up of the stud in the timing cover from a spare that I have. The nut is the same as the rocker nuts. The nut and stud are easily available parts in the UK, given the number of Triumphs sold in the USA I would expect that you can get them easily too.

The gauge end of the feed should use the same fittings as loads of cars such as Jaguar, MG etc. I got my fittings from a Mini spares supplier, they are common and easily available.

Let me know if you need anything else.

John

Many Thanks. Invaluable stuff. Will start the 'hunt' for that stud (with by-pass/feed hole) + various fittings required. Last question: do you think the rockers are getting adequate feed by being supplied from the return line branch? Or are they suppose to be fed by the high pressure supply side? They are definitely getting 'oiled', as I cracked the banjos and kicked the bike over - and oil is being fed. But I'm pretty sure that the existing rocker supply lines, etc. are original. Just wondering. Makes sense that the oil pressure GAUGE be supplied by a high pressure, but wasn't sure about the rockers.

Quote Originally Posted by sprangerny View Post
    John: did you include a picture(s) of those fittings and routing? Didn't see them. Thanks, Doug - photo of the bike without any oil pressure line.Attachment 21118
    Boy. That pre-post WW2 era of Triumph parallel twins has to be the most beautiful of all parallel twins to come out of Merry Old England. The only other marque i would say comes close are the Ariel twins of that era. of course, any of the British machines out of the late 20's until WW2 are pretty much all asthetically stunning.
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 11-17-2017 at 05:56 PM.

The rockers need to be fed from the scavenge side of the system just as yours is already. The 1938 and 1939 twins had them fed from the high pressure side but had to use a restricter to cut the oil pressure and volume down. The bottom end needs high pressure but the rockers just need a trickle of oil so it makes much better sense to feed them from the return side of the system. Triumph only did it from the high pressure side for 2 years and then changed it to the low pressure side and kept it like that for decades.

I will have a look at parts suppliers over the weekend for you if you like. Trisupply (Oliver Barnes) and Ace Classics in the UK will certainly have the parts even if they are not listed on their websites. There are two types of domed nuts, one with a slightly longer dome than the other. My pre-war twin takes the longer one. I am not sure what year they changed it to the shorter one but the guys at Ace Classice will certainly know.

The Banjo is just a standard part to suit the diameter of the stud. The pipe is standard size oil pressure gauge pipe, your best bet is a Mini spares supplier (thats Austin Mini or Morris Mini, not the BMW Mini). You will need a fibre washer to connect to the gauge, the Mini place will sell them.

In 1938 the oil pipe was in one piece from the feed to the gauge making it difficult to connect and disconnect it when taking the tank off. In 1939 they added a joint just below the tank (see my picture) to make it a much easier job. I assume that your bike has a similar arrangement although I am not familiar with the exact details on the post war bikes.

John

Many thanks for all the info. So many questions on a new vintage of bike. You guys are amazing. Sorry to bug you, but three other questions: 1.) I'll bet someone out there will know if my Headlight Lens (original Lucas?) is orientated in the correct direction? I can only assume it's correct, since the LUCAS lettering is stacked vertically. 2.) does anybody know if a brake light switch, and 2 filament bulb, was ever standard on a 1948 T5? and 3.)
    would the KNN 459 plates be original, or from a known county in the UK? IMG_20171119_164223901.jpgTailLight.jpgPlateSide.jpg

Hi sprangerny.

I dont have much time now so if no one else chimes in I will post an update tomorrow.

1. In the UK we drive on the other side of the road to the USA. Looks like a UK spec bike to me so its correct for the UK. However loads were exported to the USA so there must be a USA spec light available to point it the other way.

2. Not sure for a 48. I will have to check my reference books to see when the brake light/dual filament was offered which are in my shop and I am just about to go to bed (22:35 in the UK right now)

3. Looks like a standard 1948 UK plate to me. There are some on-line resources that can tell you more.

John

The Cateye lens orientation is correct. The taillight isn't however. The shotglass light did not yet exist in '48 but many were updated along the way as the lens assembly fits the old MT110 light base. The stoplight was an accessory I believe. The switch would mount on a plate bolted on the left peg/muffler mount and attach to the brake pedal.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Quote Originally Posted by sprangerny View Post
    Many thanks for all the info. So many questions on a new vintage of bike. You guys are amazing. Sorry to bug you, but three other questions: 1.) I'll bet someone out there will know if my Headlight Lens (original Lucas?) is orientated in the correct direction? I can only assume it's correct, since the LUCAS lettering is stacked vertically. 2.) does anybody know if a brake light switch, and 2 filament bulb, was ever standard on a 1948 T5? and 3.)
    would the KNN 459 plates be original, or from a known county in the UK? IMG_20171119_164223901.jpgTailLight.jpgPlateSide.jpg
    On a 3 letter/3 number British "Registration Number" the second and third letter indicate the County, Borough or city of original registration for the motorcycle or other powered vehicle. "NN" indicates that the county of Nottinghamshire was where the registration number KNN459 was issued. Likely it was to the Triumph. There were a few situations where a vehicle was being scrapped and the owner of the new vehicle transferred the registration number to the new vehicle but if a vehicle was being traded in or sold used, the registration number stayed with it.
    If the tail light was originally an MT110 with a single filament, replica MT110 tail lights which have a stop and tail bulb and wiring are available. I fitted one of these, but also have fitted a much larger and modern stop/tail lamp to my late 1930's British bike - car drivers do just not see these small old types of motorcycle tail lamps.

AFJ