Thread: 1942 45" Kicker won't engage properly

Default 1942 45" Kicker won't engage properly

Hi,

For years I've had an issue with the kicker on our 1942 45" transmission. It would not engage firmly and would fall through if any real downward pressure was applied to the kicker. It would work without this issue if you applied pressure to the kick pedal (towards the transmission) and hold that pressure as you kicked over the engine.

So after years of dealing with this, I've pulled and disassembled the transmission. I haven't carefully measured everything yet but a visual inspection doesn't reveal anything obvious.

Can anyone offer some suggestions on what is the likely cause of this issue?

Thanks!

Steve Slaminko

Are the tripper bolts good? Aligned properly? Excessive end play on the countershaft? Springs in proper places and not damaged?
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

I think Robbie nailed it, I recently had trouble with my 54 servi car, tripper bolt was not aligned properly

Quote Originally Posted by slamiste View Post
    Hi,

For years I've had an issue with the kicker on our 1942 45" transmission. It would not engage firmly and would fall through if any real downward pressure was applied to the kicker. It would work without this issue if you applied pressure to the kick pedal (towards the transmission) and hold that pressure as you kicked over the engine.

So after years of dealing with this, I've pulled and disassembled the transmission. I haven't carefully measured everything yet but a visual inspection doesn't reveal anything obvious.

Can anyone offer some suggestions on what is the likely cause of this issue?

Thanks!

Steve Slaminko
    Hey Steve I just saw your message, good luck with your 45- Vic Blake

Thanks Everyone,

One more question,
    Which manual would you recommend that would have the best rebuilding guidelines for the 45" transmission?

Steve
    Check out, 45 Restoration Company's web site. Good assembly drawings and lots of parts. Hope your "new" knee is good.
    Fred Davis.
    Fred Davis AMCA #9176