Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AMA lobbying for comments to NHTSA for Automated Driving Systems

I've enjoyed just getting along with you, Tom; so I appreciate the simple comment. We can just agree to disagree on some topics.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Quote Originally Posted by exeric View Post
    I've enjoyed just getting along with you, Tom; so I appreciate the simple comment. We can just agree to disagree on some topics.
    I didn't argue with you at all, Eric!

Let me know if you stumble across your disagreeable pins,...

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-04-2017 at 02:22 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Gentlemen,
    Several years ago when I was a member of the AMA, I contacted them about an issue we were having here in NJ. The MVC had adopted the NHTSA list for titling motorcycles in NJ. Quite simply this meant if you had purchased a motorcycle on that list you could quite easily get a title for it. If it was not on the list you were not getting a title. So if you purchased a Hyosung, Jiang Chaing, Zen Bung or any other POS imported from parts unknown and it was on that NHTSA list, no problem, title granted. However if you purchased a Adler or a Zundapp, or many other antique motorcycles you were SOL. I felt this was a great injustice so I contacted not only the AMA but my state representatives as well. I got a letter back from the AMA suggesting I contact my state reps for help on this matter. Wait a minute I thought by being a member of the AMA I was going to get some help with unfair practices, not just pushed to the side. Likewise the letter from my state reps suggested I get in contact with the MVC. After talking both by telephone and internet for a couple of weeks to contacts within the MVC about this problem everyone gave me the same line, " If it isn't on the NHTSA list it can not be titled in NJ." I was getting extremely frustrated when finally I got an email from a lady in the MVC who actually understood the problem and told me they aware of this problem for titling, registering and tagging historic motorcycles. Working with her the MVC finally got a process together to get these historic motorcycles titled. The process is not easy but it can be done and you can now get a title. So I now no longer contribute to the AMA nor do I vote for the state reps that gave me the run around. In all the years I belonged to the AMA I never received any benefits that warranted my renewal. End of story.

Whether or not it's true I have heard that they are close to bankruptcy, have the headquarters up for sale, have tried to sale the museum contents (but they aren't legally able too), and are just going to be just another lobbying firm in Washington. We do know they no longer have control of the racing side of their house. We also know where their magazine staff now resides. Oh well! From the thirties to the sixties they were firing on all cylinders, nice collector items generated, great racing, gypsy tours, oh my. To bad their heads carboned up, plugs fouled, rings broke, and they're dead and dying by the side of the road.
    DrSprocket

I think they sold Leo Payne's ,The Turnip Eater....soon after donater,Mike Wilson passed

Okay then Folks,...

What national motorcyclists's rights group should we turn to?

Thanks in advance,

....Cotten
    AMCA #776

I'm a charter life member of the AMA but have not paid attention to them in years. Not sure when I last saw a magazine but realized a while back I no longer got it. Must not have paid a renewal for the mag only, which used to come free to life members. They, along with manufacturers and society in general , are fractured and spend all their time and effort on a narrow focus to the detriment of all other factions. When they dropped the pro racing I dropped my interest as they chopped all support for vintage racing at that time as well, leaving those like AHRMA high and dry on insurance and venues. The entire industry is so fractured that the feds don't need to worry, motorcyclists will doom themselves sooner than later.
    As for year pins there are three distinct types over the years, and all modern versions are "made in China".
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

So we just give up and cry, right?

....Cotten
    AMCA #776

Who is we Tom, you are the only one that can be depended on to cry over everything. Everybody else actually has a life and goes on with it.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Quote Originally Posted by Rubone View Post
    Who is we Tom, you are the only one that can be depended on to cry over everything. Everybody else actually has a life and goes on with it.
    Yeah, Damn all them other motorcyclists anyway...

....Cotten
    PS: DOH! But don't they vote,.. ?
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-05-2017 at 06:05 PM.
    AMCA #776